If all chickens had to be cageless

Quote:
On the spot:

Here is the definition of "Fully extending his or her limbs":

Fully extending all limbs without touching touching the side of an enclosure, including, in the case of egg-laying hens, fully spreading both wings without touching the side of an enclosure or OTHER EGG-LAYING HENS. (emphasis mine)

So it does indeed say that the birds must be a wingspan apart.

You can read the entire text here: http://www.safecaliforniafood.org/sites/default/files/Initiative%20Text%202007-08-09.pdf

Jim

Last edited:
Ditto what AngieChick said.

At what price cheap.........
Too much of a price in my book. They live miserable lives so we can save a few bucks. When I read the stats on how few people in America choose the more humanly raised products, it's painfully obvious that we have a longgg way to go. The vast majority of people are unplugged, unconscious in their purchases...

JJ

* We could just move people out of Cali (start with Berkeley, lol!!) and let the chickens have the entire state. . . . . Kidding, folks--don't go getting your knickers in a knot!!!

Fully extending his or her limbs" means fully extending all limbs without
touching the side of an enclosure, including, in the case of egg-laying hens,
fully spread ing both wings without touching the side of an enclosure or other
egg-laying hens.

Do you think that this means that a cage with six egg-laying hens in it will have to be a minimum of say, twelve or fifteen feet wide? Or would they be outlawing more than one bird in a cage, each cage two feet, by maybe two and a half feet or so? I am trying to envision what they mean here. I wonder if they are saying that it should accommodate all birds simultaneously standing in a line and stretching out their wings like a chorus line, or a single bird stretching while others are eating, sleeping, laying, etc...​

yeah, well i think that however i look at it, i just dont think its right that they have to spend their lives in those small cages with 5 other birds all cramped.....and they DO NOT look happy in there. IDK how but we have to fix this.

Fully extending all limbs without touching touching the side of an enclosure, including, in the case of egg-laying hens, fully spreading both wings without touching the side of an enclosure or OTHER EGG-LAYING HENS. (emphasis mine)

Having not read the prop, how many home owners coops would pass this test?

I agree on hens not being happy in cage but mine are unhappy when they are confined in coop or pen. They want to live FREE like ME. I have NO problem outlawing cage layers as long as IMPORTATIONS of ANY egg products are also outlawed. To stop it in USA and buy products that come from the same type of situation is hypocrital at best. See our fruit/vegetable industry--consumer hypocrisy at it's finest.

Quote:
Justin:

How do you assess happiness? Is it high level of production? Is it low cortisol levels? Is it the "twinkle" in their eye? Is through Bio-Feedback through the nervous system? Or is simply anthropomorphism?

What about the studies that show that cage free chickens are more stressed, have higher mortality, and higher levels of Salmonella contamination? I'd dare say that those hens aren't "happier".

Jim

Quote:
Do you think that this means that a cage with six egg-laying hens in it will have to be a minimum of say, twelve or fifteen feet wide? Or would they be outlawing more than one bird in a cage, each cage two feet, by maybe two and a half feet or so? I am trying to envision what they mean here. I wonder if they are saying that it should accommodate all birds simultaneously standing in a line and stretching out their wings like a chorus line, or a single bird stretching while others are eating, sleeping, laying, etc...

Onthespot:

Your questions illustrate why Proposition 2 must be defeated. It is flawed with ambiguous terms, consequences, and potential for "Humane Organizations" like organization, PETA, ALF, and Animal Sanctuary to have the power to inspect commercial operations without notice thereby granting Quasi-Governmental authority.

Jim

Quote:
I think alot of people are plugged in, conscious, and informed, but the unemployment rate, and loss of income from family to family keeps them thinking with their checkbooks, and not their feelings towards animals.

Back
Top Bottom