If anyone is online I need your help ASAP

I'll bet a lot that you 'forgot' is in there and just wouldn't come because these are your birds and the panic had already settled in. If you have the Corid and you think that there may be something brewing, do it. It won't hurt them if it isn't cocci.

Do you have a light out with them? Mine, all I have to do is put on the light and they get up to eat and drink no matter what time it is. Goofy birds, lol! They don't get angry because someone woke them...their first thought is "YUM! it's time to eat!". Gotta love it.
No unfortunately Haunted55, I don't, we haven't run the wire for electric out yet, doing a kinda conduit type, so will be under ground. I have an extension wire, but no light to use, plus no where to hang one, or set one on...there coop is pretty bare bones still...lots still to do, little stuff, but lots of it...we had ot get them out there fast, so rigged the coop to get them in, they had outgrown their brooder box by 3 weeks old, and it being summer, they did fine, are doing fine with the coop, until yesturady....and that is due to something that went on while I was gone, and I doubt I will ever know....just hoping that if I am right and they got out, this isn't a case of poisoning, as it is too late to use activated charcoal, if that is what it is. I am going to start them in the am on the corrid, I really think some, or all, have an overload, or are on the edge of it....and have enough shavings left to clean out the coop again, and will treat in the am if there is more runny poo...which fully expect to see and now, I will have to clean the pen out, with them in it, as the guys took off. There is NO way I can catch, and then get them out to the brooder, by myself, which is all the manager, drunk, did, then left me...so long story short, no, no light available. The more I think about it, the more I think I will just do a run of the corrid, clean their coop again, and hope and pray that is it and they get better!!!! Thanks for that idea though...will tuck that away for future use! Yeah, I did panic, I had a ways to go to get to TSC before they closed, was working against the clock, or the sun to be exact, and got abandoned in the middle, so lost my little edge to use daylight to get meds in them. Was mad as heck too...so neither helped me. Yup, you are right, they are my responsibility and when they look at me for their every need, including health, and they do have that look in their eyes...you know what I mean, I know you do...it grabs at my heart. They are still babies!!! And this is a critical time for them, a hurdle time they must get through..just like kids have those times....If I can get them healthy again and get them past this 6 week or so age...I should be ok on them staying healthy, oh and keep the guys out of and away from them, unless I am here!!!! and find a way to get the manager to listen to me!!!! I am talking he aint listeneing!!! GRRRRR I have a hard time with animals of all types being sick, it pulls at my heart so...always been that way, as kid I would drag all kinds home to try to help. Mostly baby birds their momma abandoned, and I learned a lot from that, as most died no matter what I did...the momma knows best...and that is why my plan is to have broody hens to raise the youngsters, one more year of raising them myself, and the heritage birds should give me some broody hens....especially the Dom's...that is why I ordered them and to help keep the breed going...the Barred Plymouth Rocks are for both eggs, meat and maybe, maybe, showing, but with the diseases, I am not sure how I would...so that is not definite, plus I ordered and on Jeremy's waiting list for the ringlet line...want to see if I can clean up the males tails...even if I don't ever show...just think I can...love a challenge
wink.png
and love breeding and working with animals!!! I am GREAT with them...they seen to respond to me...maybe they feel I love them?

I was looking around and come up with this... dont know if it will help any

Diet
1. Make sure you are feeding your hen the right foods. Chocolate, large servings of meat, raw potato skins, citrus fruits, bones, avocado skins and pits, spoiled meat and long-cut grass can all cause digestive problems in chickens.
2. I feed my hens plain yogurt once a month or more. The good bacteria in yogurt can help their diarrhea as well as keep their digestive system balanced. Make sure you use the plain yogurt.
3. Potassium permanganate can be used to treat diarrhea. (Potassium permanganate is the inorganic chemical compound with the formula KMnO4. It is a salt consisting of K+ and MnO4– ions. Formerly known as permanganate of potash or Condy's crystals. It is a disinfectant for the drinking water.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon in 1 quart of warm water. Feed each chicken 1 tablespoon of the concentrated solution diluted in 1 cup of warm water. In a case of severe diarrhea you may need a stronger solution, one that is potent enough to turn your finger slightly brown when you dip it in the liquid. Do not keep the potassium permanganate mixture in a metal container.

4. Another thing you can try is Epsom salt. Add one-half tablespoon of Epsom salt to the affected chicken's feed. You can also feed your diarrhea-afflicted chicken wheat bran moistened with sour milk or buttermilk.

5. Food grade diatomaceous earth
has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. I keep food grade DE in my chicken feed constantly to sweep out parasites and viruses from the digestive tract. Giving it to them daily can only help. I find less disease and less digestive problems as long as I am using it. Our hens have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight, growing feathers back faster after molting and better egg production.

I was looking around and come up with this... dont know if it will help any

Diet
1. Make sure you are feeding your hen the right foods. Chocolate, large servings of meat, raw potato skins, citrus fruits, bones, avocado skins and pits, spoiled meat and long-cut grass can all cause digestive problems in chickens.
2. I feed my hens plain yogurt once a month or more. The good bacteria in yogurt can help their diarrhea as well as keep their digestive system balanced. Make sure you use the plain yogurt.
3. Potassium permanganate can be used to treat diarrhea. (Potassium permanganate is the inorganic chemical compound with the formula KMnO4. It is a salt consisting of K+ and MnO4– ions. Formerly known as permanganate of potash or Condy's crystals. It is a disinfectant for the drinking water.

Dissolve 1 tablespoon in 1 quart of warm water. Feed each chicken 1 tablespoon of the concentrated solution diluted in 1 cup of warm water. In a case of severe diarrhea you may need a stronger solution, one that is potent enough to turn your finger slightly brown when you dip it in the liquid. Do not keep the potassium permanganate mixture in a metal container.

4. Another thing you can try is Epsom salt. Add one-half tablespoon of Epsom salt to the affected chicken's feed. You can also feed your diarrhea-afflicted chicken wheat bran moistened with sour milk or buttermilk.

5. Food grade diatomaceous earth
has a negative charge and bacteria has a positive charge. I keep food grade DE in my chicken feed constantly to sweep out parasites and viruses from the digestive tract. Giving it to them daily can only help. I find less disease and less digestive problems as long as I am using it. Our hens have an easier time maintaining a healthy weight, growing feathers back faster after molting and better egg production.

Thank you NCChickMan for looking that up. I will keep that handy for future use. I decided to treat for cocci. I have their water container in their coop for the morning, when they get up, hoping they will drink it. I'm going to give them a bit, in the morning, to see if they do pep up more and if they drink. Seems a lot of cocci going around. This thread is full of posts that others have it in their flocks and with all the rain, changing their feed to unmedicated, then the stress from what ever happened???? I think they have an overload. They were FINE Yesturday morning, before I left, by night water change the coop was full of runny poo, couple fluffy chicks, some hunched, I though they were sitting funny, all the signs of cocci, and today, I watched them closely and tonight water change time, I found 3 runny poo's again, so not going to take any chances. Do you know if I can give them yogurt while they are on the corid? I can't figure out which one, or two started up again today....I sat and watched them for quite a while, but couldn't catch any pooing runny stuff....the runny poo was fresh, so maybe they didn't need to go while I was there??? I have to clean their coop again now, even though it's not as bad as yesterday...I have one bag of shavings left, so will go get more tomorrow/today, and think I will pick up some straw as they are back to sleeping together, since they got sick, on the floor in their sleeping pile, I want them warm and think a nice nest of straw is the ticket!

Thanks again,...although had to enlarge you post,...that color was hard on these old eyes lol...great ideas though!!! Thanks for taking the time to look that up for me!!! Gotta try to get some sleep, my sleep is all messed up now, from checking them all night, last night and tonight...so gotta try, took a few naps yesterday inbetween, stting with them, ect...so up wayyy too late tonight with too much to do tomorrow...sigh...thanks again. Talk to ya tomorrow!!! Hope I don't lose any...praying heard I don't!

Okay Mithious, how go the battle this morning? Are things looking any better?
Hi Haunted55, thanks for checking in. I put the treated water out last night at 12:30am, so they would have it for when they woke up early, and let them alone a bit longer this morning, so they would hopefully drink a lot of water. They are all still alive, thank God, but I am worried about my big girl. Went out and sat with them again, and didn't see any runny poo, but it could be mixed with the shavings, as I let the alone for a bit...none running down the wall, though, but my big girl, I am not sure she is drinking...I tapped on the water container, dipped my finger in the water, which gets them drinking, but she did not join the others and is still fluffy and hunched...not as much vigor as the rest...the ones drinking seem to feel a bit better, they were pecking on me, freckles they think are bugs, that kind of thing...usual behavior, which I discourage, but gently. Tons still wanting and getting in my lap for cuddles. Have a Dr appointment in twon in just a bit, so have to run soon, but am going to pick up some straw to make a nest for them as they are back to sleeping on the floor in their group huddle. I think, since they are sick, they a colder, so a nice straw nest, nice and thick should help with that, plus more shavings and ammonia for when they are out, in the run, so I can thoroughly clean their coop...I just scraped off the poo the other night when I cleaned out the shavings....found the manager is still here, guess something wrong with his truck? So hopefully he will concentrate on that and not bother the chicks while I am at the Dr's. I have one other chick, that is still ruffled, not quite as depressed as my big girl, but still watching her too...most of the others seem to be picking up a bit, after getting the corid this morning. I have read to leave it all day. I usually change out their water 3 times a day. The corid cost me $22.89 for one package here...BUT, since they are in the coop all the time, they get the water dirty more, should I atleast change it once more than what is recommended. It's not too bad this morning but I know by the time I get back it will be....anyways...so far, most seem to be doing a bit better this morning...I really think I they have an overload of cocci....I am going to treat for the whole 7 days too, just to be sure. and then again in two weeks....that is the recommendation on here and I think I should be safe, rather than sorry, Oh, can I give them some yogurt while treating them? I usually give them some once a week or so, with grit. Thanks sooo much for checking on us. I gotta run but will check this when I get back, after checking the birds and changing the water.
hugs.gif
Oh, and my big girl is my only pullet that will NOT let me touch her, she runs to me, until getting sick, but I can not catch her, if I do, a few times I have she freaks out and struggles so bad, she usually manages to get loose. I thought I would try to dip her beak, but tried and could not even get her, never mind try to get her dipped...gonna pick up a syringe, and try that when I get home, put some on the side of her beak, if I can get her still enough, try the other I am concerned about also...they did drink quite a bit, the others, I marked where the water is, when full, so I can tell if they have drank. Gotta run..be back as soon as I can. HUGE thanks!!!

If this is cocci and the water gets fouled with poop, then yes you need to change it. Your price was cheaper than mine from TSC, mine was closer to $25. As for the yogurt, I wouldn't. They don't need it or the added calcium, they're around 6 weeks? Look, you've started on the Corid and you should go the course of it. There is time enough afterwards to give them the Sav-A-Chick vites and electrolites. Don't mix things up now. Let the Corid do it's job and it does it a whole lot better without the extras.

Now this being said...if you have a bird that is going downhill quickly, remove it from the others and treat as needed. Know that any vitamin therapy is going to off set the Corid and makes this bird extremely susceptible to cocci and may have to be treated with a Di-Methox dosing after you get it back on it's feet.

You can mix an antibiotic into the same water as the Corid, to decrease the chance of secondary infections, but I would only do this if the birds were symptomatic for a respiratory infection, or had come in contact with a bird that had signs of having one. Otherwise...don't.
http://www.merckmanuals.com/vet/poultry/coccidiosis/overview_of_coccidiosis_in_poultry.html

I have done this with no ill affects at all. I just don't recommend it as a matter of course. Like I said before, less is better right now. Also, when you read the above article, notice that it talks about the use of medicated feed. Medicated feed only works if it is given continuously as their only feed until they have been on the ground for a bit. It doesn't act as a vaccine against it. The amount of anticoccidial drug in it is only really a maintenance amount. It won't stop an outbreak or keep them from having one until they are grounded so they can start having it, the cocci, introduced to their systems. Then it helps keep the numbers down enough so the bird's own system can deal with these little nasties. That is why I said, earlier in this thread, that I keep mine on it until they are outside and have had at least a few weeks, 4-6 weeks, of exposure. It can take that long for the bird's own immune system to overcome this.

Back...changed out their water and also found ONE of the girls with the worse runny poos cause I just got covered, grabbed her to dunk beak, as she is one of them that is looking worse than the others and whoosh...cleaned up now.

Read your post, huge thanks, I will keep them on just the corid...wow more $$$ than here? Sorry!!! Haven't read the link yet, that is next. They are eating better, even the girl I dipped beak and got covered...talked with the older gentleman and he says the same as you also...they ONLY sell the medicated crumble starter, and I explained to him what's going on, and he said I should think about putting them back on the medicated, after two full does of the corid, and do the 7 days, then wait 2 weeks then another 7 days, then back to the medicated. Does that sound right to you? Some of the birds are not hunched tonight, that were this morning and they are drinking well, all but 3, and eating well, all but 3, the 3 worst, are eating and drinking, but for one, that I am unsure of...thus the dipping beaks on the 3 that seem the worse.

Feed store man says sounds like cocci too...could've been brewing and stress brought it out full blown. Does that sound right? Just double checking my feed store guy...priced organic while I was there, $23.00 for 50 lb bag. I didn't think that was that bad compared to what others have said on here. Feed store guys said he sells more "stuff" medications, ect to people with hatchery chicks than the breeders chicks, the heritage breeds...what do you think about that?

Seems I have a ways to go before I see too much of an improvement, but think I am seeing a bit in some that maybe didn't have it as bad? I bought some straw. What do you think of putting down some straw, over the current shavings, for now, and cleaning the whole coop out, once the runny poo's slow down or stop? That way, they aren't on the contaminated poo's. The manager actually listened and didn't do a thing till I got back. I think he got it. Too bad it took the chicks getting sick to sink in...anyways, the run is being worked on more, right now, and "should" be done, by tomorrow. Would holding off cleaning the shavings out till tomorrow hurt or hamper their recovery? It's not as bad as the other day, and if I put straw on top, to help with moisture control, would that get me buy, till I can let them out and use the ammonia and totally clean all bedding out and replace with new?

I will be changing the water, as needed, even if I have to go buy more meds...No signs of a secondary infection, yet...but do have antibiotic on hand, so glad to know I can, if needed, treat with both...HUGE thanks for all the info. I need to eat something, haven't had time and can't remember when I last ate...if I get sick, it won't help them...just, before I get something easy and quick to eat...should I put the straw down? I got one bale, should be enough to do two coverings. What I am seeing is as they dig up the shavings, they are bringing up the old poo's, that I am covering with a topping of shavings, thinking the straw might keep it under it for a day till I can do a through cleaning??? Would that help?

Thanks so much!! Yeah when they dig the shavings, they go flying and the poo with it, into the water...so will change it like I was, atleast 3 times a day.

Back...changed out their water and also found ONE of the girls with the worse runny poos cause I just got covered, grabbed her to dunk beak, as she is one of them that is looking worse than the others and whoosh...cleaned up now.

Read your post, huge thanks, I will keep them on just the corid...wow more $$$ than here? Sorry!!! Haven't read the link yet, that is next. They are eating better, even the girl I dipped beak and got covered...talked with the older gentleman and he says the same as you also...they ONLY sell the medicated crumble starter, and I explained to him what's going on, and he said I should think about putting them back on the medicated, after two full does of the corid, and do the 7 days, then wait 2 weeks then another 7 days, then back to the medicated. Does that sound right to you? Some of the birds are not hunched tonight, that were this morning and they are drinking well, all but 3, and eating well, all but 3, the 3 worst, are eating and drinking, but for one, that I am unsure of...thus the dipping beaks on the 3 that seem the worse.

Feed store man says sounds like cocci too...could've been brewing and stress brought it out full blown. Does that sound right? Just double checking my feed store guy...priced organic while I was there, $23.00 for 50 lb bag. I didn't think that was that bad compared to what others have said on here. Feed store guys said he sells more "stuff" medications, ect to people with hatchery chicks than the breeders chicks, the heritage breeds...what do you think about that?

Seems I have a ways to go before I see too much of an improvement, but think I am seeing a bit in some that maybe didn't have it as bad? I bought some straw. What do you think of putting down some straw, over the current shavings, for now, and cleaning the whole coop out, once the runny poo's slow down or stop? That way, they aren't on the contaminated poo's. The manager actually listened and didn't do a thing till I got back. I think he got it. Too bad it took the chicks getting sick to sink in...anyways, the run is being worked on more, right now, and "should" be done, by tomorrow. Would holding off cleaning the shavings out till tomorrow hurt or hamper their recovery? It's not as bad as the other day, and if I put straw on top, to help with moisture control, would that get me buy, till I can let them out and use the ammonia and totally clean all bedding out and replace with new?

I will be changing the water, as needed, even if I have to go buy more meds...No signs of a secondary infection, yet...but do have antibiotic on hand, so glad to know I can, if needed, treat with both...HUGE thanks for all the info. I need to eat something, haven't had time and can't remember when I last ate...if I get sick, it won't help them...just, before I get something easy and quick to eat...should I put the straw down? I got one bale, should be enough to do two coverings. What I am seeing is as they dig up the shavings, they are bringing up the old poo's, that I am covering with a topping of shavings, thinking the straw might keep it under it for a day till I can do a through cleaning??? Would that help?

Thanks so much!! Yeah when they dig the shavings, they go flying and the poo with it, into the water...so will change it like I was, atleast 3 times a day.
I do think that putting the straw down would be healthier for them, but bulky straw can make it difficult for small birds to walk over it. So make sure that when you put it down that you walk on it and press it into the bottom layer of shavings a bit. Otherwise, your chicks might get even more stressed by having to struggle to move.
And I know exactly what you're talking about when you say that they fling stuff into their water. When I have chicks, the water gets virtually packed with shavings.
roll.png
I'm sure that they have fun kicking around all of their bedding, but it sure makes a mess!

I do think that putting the straw down would be healthier for them, but bulky straw can make it difficult for small birds to walk over it. So make sure that when you put it down that you walk on it and press it into the bottom layer of shavings a bit. Otherwise, your chicks might get even more stressed by having to struggle to move.
And I know exactly what you're talking about when you say that they fling stuff into their water. When I have chicks, the water gets virtually packed with shavings.
roll.png
I'm sure that they have fun kicking around all of their bedding, but it sure makes a mess!
You can say that again, in their brooder I could NOT keep their water clean, now that it is hanging, seems 3 times a day is pretty good( but with treating for cocci, I will change it more if it gets poo's in it, to keep it poo free atleast...ok, gonna go put the straw down now, thanks for the help!!! I will tramp it down good too...these guys are 6 weeks, so can fly really well, so if they can't walk they will fly across! But will do my best to get it tramped down. Thanks again! Back to work!!!

You can say that again, in their brooder I could NOT keep their water clean, now that it is hanging, seems 3 times a day is pretty good( but with treating for cocci, I will change it more if it gets poo's in it, to keep it poo free atleast...ok, gonna go put the straw down now, thanks for the help!!! I will tramp it down good too...these guys are 6 weeks, so can fly really well, so if they can't walk they will fly across! But will do my best to get it tramped down. Thanks again! Back to work!!!
You're welcome! I'm hoping for the best for your chicks.

Back
Top Bottom