If chicks make it to a week and a half, are they safe?

4H kids and mom

Cooped Up
12 Years
Mar 10, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
I'm wondering if I can relax a little and quit worrying that I'm going to wake up one morning to a dead baby. They are just a week and a half now, feathering out nicely (big wings and tails), and FLYING around the box. They're roosting too. Eating a full trough of food a day and drinking a whole gallon of water. What is the safety mark? I mean, what are the statistics of loosing a chick after a week?

I lost 3 chicks after the 2 week mark but the had punmonia from a very bad shippment. If the chicks are looking healty and active you should be home free.

Thank you. We are bonding with them, and it would hurt quite a bit to loose one after getting to know them! Everyone is active and healthy (from what I can tell) so fingers crossed I suppose?

Sounds like they're doing fine...congrats.
jumpy.gif

Last year I lost two of them. One at about 3 months, and one at about 5. I wasn't able to find any reason for it, they had looked perfectly fine. I've also heard that you may loose some at sexual maturity.

As with any critter, sometimes bad things happen. I've never had a chick die until this year. It was about 7-8 days old, and was growing just like its siblings. Then one morning, I found it barely alive. The mother hen had covered it in shavings and hay. I never did figure out what was wrong.
All in all, however, it sounds like things are going well. BigWRanch is right, though - the next phase you really have to worry about is as they approach laying age. The first few eggs can be a challenge for some pulletts, and you need to be on the lookout for egg binding, low calcium levels, etc.
One spring I had a girl who started laying early (about 18 weeks), and she had quite the troubles - her first three eggs were doubles that were fused at the ends (totalling about 5" long - !). I had to help her get each one out. I had started to think I was going to have to help her for the rest of her life, but happily she then started to lay normally.

Back
Top Bottom