If eggs are kept in about 70 degree or warmer room for awhile does

bearz

Songster
11 Years
May 20, 2008
this shorten the incubation time? My fatherinlaw gave me some eggs to incubate. Some have been on his counter in a non A/C house for a couple of weeks. They are fertile and growing but seem to be farther along than the fresher eggs.

I'm wondering if I should transfer them to the hatcher sooner than the others?

Hmmmm.... good question, and I hope someone with more experience replies. I have yet to see 70°F this summer, so I don't have first hand experience with it. However, my understanding is that the incubation process would begin, and unless you cooled the eggs back down again (possibly killing the embryo), then yes, they would hatch sooner than other eggs that were not kept as warm but set on the same day.
Keep an eye on the airsac and the size of the embryo. When you can't see a whole lot in the egg when candling, I'd put it in the hatcher.
wink.png

Good luck!!

It's my understanding that when an egg is held at 80F for a time the embryo will start to devolop but you won't see much for about four days or so. Temps below about 75F will keep the embryo in suspended animation till the heat is applied and then they will start to devolop. I would try not to hold them any cooler than about 60F and I have an icebox set up just for holding hatching eggs. What you don't see going on under a broody hen is a prolonged hatch, They will usually take more than a day to hatch depending on the weather when the clutch was gathered.

Back
Top Bottom