If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

Pics
I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
I have MUSCOVY! They are gold when it comes to brooding their eggs and many others n They are fantastic forgets and excellent "beef"substitutes. I love my Aylesbury ducks but a muscovy is so so reasonable and easy to let out to forage and come in when you call. Mine know theur names and ate wicked bodyguards for the other ducks! They are very freindly and wag their tails but very very quiet if you wanted birds in stealth mode. Males can be 20 lbs! Eat in garden without destroying it like chickens but decimate flies and skeeter as well as ants and eat mice! I do the BSFL and spent brewers grain as well as left overs. A hen can hatch a dozen or so of her eggs plus about that many put under with hers about 4 times or 5 a year.Duck bacon..sausage and burgers as well as fajitas or filet mignon from breasts. Again love the Aylesbury ducks but. .we use muscovy in beef recipes. All around a good package.

Attachments

• download.jpeg
    download.jpeg
    179.4 KB · Views: 11
I've already started seeds for the garden inside. The problem is it takes weeks for these things to grow! every day I go stare at my planters seeing if another sprout has come up or not. This is intermittable!
Using this scenario of having a shortage of feed, I would start to write very sweet polite notes to my neighbors saying "Wait! Those leftovers may not be garbage! I'm looking for the following before you throw it in the trash to give to my chickens (list of acceptable things here). In return we can all enjoy future eggs."
I feed them almost everything (carrot peel, fruit, cake, old rice, cut grass, cut plant leave, egg shell, old bread, etc..). Things that I don't feed (sharp thorn leave, super hard shell stuff, etc..). What they don't eat will turn into compose some day.

I can't help thinking that's it's threads like this that have erupted on the Internet that are causing the panic buying. So far more people die each day in car accidents.
Sure the virus is dangerous, particularly if you're elderly and have respiratory, or cardiac problems. It has actually killed a very very small percentage of those who contracted it.
I think here in Spain it's killed around 50 people out of the estimated 2300 infected.
Lets try and keep some sense of proportion and rationality. It's the hysteria that's doing most of the damage currently, not the virus.
You should elaborate further since so many have agreed with you.

I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.

Can you post a picture of that? I've been thinking of doing something similar, but when I tried before, my chickens busted in and got all my seedlings and young plants (I don't even think they ate them, they just left chicken-sized craters everywhere). I was too upset to try again.

You can soak dry dog kibble in a bucket of water, when it's soaked soggy, dump for the chickens. It's a cheap and easy emergency feed. Available everywhere

There are 4 imaginary hens of standard size. The entire imaginary roof is 150x150. The imaginary coop and run take up one third of the roof.
Why panic? It’s all imaginary. Just have fun.
Ok, under those parameters I would raise meal worms in an aquarium or old tub inside my apartment. I would also grow sweet potato vines, Swiss chard, lettuce, all kinds of greens in pots by every available window and on the balcony. These grow rapidly and grow well indoors to cover winter feedings. I would grow rye, clover , and other foodstuffs for them and us on the rooftop. Half the eggs for us and half fed back to the girls. And here's the cheat since your scenario allows for no free ranging, I have diapers for each chicken that a leash can be attached to. I will take my girls for a walk to the park where they can forage a bit. Might have to take them two at a time, can't imagine being able to handle all 4 imaginary chickens at once. Think they might survive for quite awhile this way.

Last edited:
I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
What a good idea. I think I will plant greens for them inside their run also - protected by the wire so they don't destroy the crop. Thank you. With everything shutting down I did go buy some more feed but can't get any treats at this time. Supply problem. Anyways, it is coming spring and the bugs will arrive for variety. The grass is growing and they love that. Come the winter - I don't know. I may try growing greens in a sheltered area - my chickweed lasted a long time, but that isn't food. They love cooked rice and cucumbers, I just hope I don't have research what to feed them when the store dries up. My chickens are not allowed to get the run of the yard due to owls, eagles and hawks not to mention the raccoons and other predators. Any homemade recipes out there for nutritious feed?

Back
Top Bottom