If feed stores closed and you can’t free range...

I was worried about this. Our state just issued the shut down of all "non essential businesses"and yet gave no list whatsoever as to what that meant. They said grocery stores, banks, pharmacies, but not feed stores. It starts midnight tonight so I was just going to call them tomorrow to verify.
No worries they will stay open as feeding our animals is also important and remember those feed stores carry medicine for our animals too.

I make my feed so I was able to get extra ingred at feed store. I soak my feed a couple hours before serving and it goes further and they get more liquid in them. I feed them at night so they are calm and go in for the night easily. I only have 10 so I also train them to come to me and be picked up to examine them by giving them a raisin.

Good idea to plan ahead. People are starting to go nuts, which threatens everything.

Mealworms, soldier fly larvae, perrennials like comfrey. I hope to get going this summer a coldframe where I can grow collards and such year round, with compost pile that I can let the chickens occasionally pick through
Have you ever raised mealworms? They love them and if I could raise them that would be pretty awesome

I just called Stock and Field this morning and they informed me that "as of now their hours have not changed" and they will still being doing "chick days". Not sure if this applies everywhere but those in NWI should be aware. We currently have 300+ cases of the virus.

Good idea to plan ahead. People are starting to go nuts, which threatens everything.

Mealworms, soldier fly larvae, perrennials like comfrey. I hope to get going this summer a coldframe where I can grow collards and such year round, with compost pile that I can let the chickens occasionally pick through

I got 150lbs of chick feed and 200lbs of adult feed. Good thing i did lol. Our feed store is sooo empty. i hope they get more feed soon. we are going back latter for babby ducks. and more treats😁

I do not want to start a panic, rather a conversation. No I haven’t heard rumors of feed shortages. Yes we all are aware of the virus situation in the United States and everywhere in the world.
Just for the sake of conversation If someone needs to decide to stop buying feed and could not free range what would be your go to way of feeding your flock?
Yes we all know free range is the ideal. This discussion is about a situation where that is not an option, neither is purchasing grains. Let’s just include the thought that this is not a farm with fields to grow tons of grain but perhaps a “backyard garden” could include a bit dedicated to chickens. Let’s discuss this in terms of various seasonal and environmental conditions. Let’s also include that you are not open to the idea that you should stop raising chickens because you can’t afford them. This isn’t about affordability. It’s just a discussion.
What would you feed your flock? What would you grow for them? What would you do in winter?
If this discussion becomes problematic I request moderators to remove it. Let’s just enjoy exchanging ideas.
I’ve had some thoughts. I have a small framed chicken garden in their run so they can eat greens through a wire barrier without destroying roots. Perhaps I could expand that idea with frames of various heights to allow more mature growth an possible fruiting. Maybe grow a protected amaranth plant to allow the grain to fall for the chickens to eat.
I have other thoughts to share but let’s start there.
Your turn.:)
Hi, I don't know how it in the USA, but here our farmers are still working tirelessly and there is no shortage of grain. If you have room, plant plenty of sunflowers. Their seeds contain all the nutrition chicks need. My chucks love left-overs so I tend to cook a lot more rice than we need and then feed it to them. I supplement my mixed grain with sunflower seeds and crushed peanuts. Brings the protein level up beyond 25%. Consequently we get fantastic eggs and all the chucks are healthy. As far as I can see, all the farmers drive their huge machines on their own and there is no issue about 'social distancing'. Hard to get a food delivery though at the moment!

What you would do for your geese I already do for my chickens. They eat weeds and grass clippings and kitchen scraps and garden failures. So why get rid of chickens? Remember the parameters of the discussion is about someone who cannot freerange and won’t get rid of them. Maybe imagine they live inner city and raise a few chickens on the roof of an apartment building. Can’t free range. They’ll fly off the roof to their death. Won’t get rid of them. They are pets, or they provide food. Whatever, it ain’t happening, especially not for geese on a rooftop!😂🤣
So what would you do?
yEA, Good for you. I am sure your chucks will be fine.

I live in Central Florida and it has been in the mid to upper 80's. My girls seem to not go for the crumbles I offer. So I actually have started a cricket farm....just starting but I can't afford to look for bugs all the time. So I believe I have some pretty darn expensive eggs! But happy girls!

Back
Top Bottom