"If global warming is CO based, should be trying to stop volcanoes..."

Status
Not open for further replies.

PortugalBreeder

Songster
9 Years
Oct 9, 2010
"If global warming is CO based then we should be trying to stop volcanoes from erupting, one of those puts out more green house gases than every internal combustion engine ever made all together. "

Lately, I had read this so many times in websites that I decided to search for the truth, and found many sites with both opinions, but it seemed to me that people who argue in favor to this theory don't back up their claims. In the other hand most of the sites were this idea is disapproved seem to have quotations from scientific articles/sources.

What is your opinion about it?

Good luck corking a volcano.
wink.png

Quote:
From where you read it?

http://globalwarmingisreal.com/2009/01/26/earthtalk-volcanic-eruptions-and-greenhouse-gases/ :

According to the U.S. Geological Survey (USGS), the world’s volcanoes, both on land and undersea, generate about 200 million tons of carbon dioxide (CO2) annually, while our automotive and industrial activities cause some 24 billion tons of CO2 emissions every year worldwide. Despite the arguments to the contrary, the facts speak for themselves: Greenhouse gas emissions from volcanoes comprise less than one percent of those generated by today’s human endeavors.

Does this U.S. Geological Survey (USGS) exist?​

The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere has been linear, with a zig-zag variance. If the increase in CO2 levels were due to volcanoes it would not be linear, but would be episodic or like stair steps. CO2 levels would increase dramatically during eruptions, level off, then increase again during eruptions. This is not the pattern that actual measurements show.

Last edited:
Ok, I found USGS website, and they say:

http://volcanoes.usgs.gov/hazards/gas/climate.php :

Do the Earth’s volcanoes emit more CO2 than human activities? Research findings indicate that the answer to this frequently asked question is a clear and unequivocal, “No.” Human activities, responsible for a projected 35 billion metric tons (gigatons) of CO2 emissions in 2010 (Friedlingstein et al., 2010), release an amount of CO2 that dwarfs the annual CO2 emissions of all the world’s degassing subaerial and submarine volcanoes (Gerlach, 2011)

I already believed more in this hypothesises, but I needed to find a really supported answer. Anyway, thanks everyone for your time.​

mom'sfolly :

The increase in CO2 in the atmosphere has been linear, with a zig-zag variance. If the increase in CO2 levels were cue to volcanoes it would not be linear, but would be episodic or like stair steps. CO2 levels would increase dramatically during eruptions, level off, then increase again during eruptions. This is not the pattern that actual measurements show.

Yes, that seems right.​

There are mountains of evidence that show a correlation between human industrial growth and co2 in the atmosphere. It would be a pretty impossible coincidence for volcanoes to randomly produce larger amounts of co2 prior to the 1800's while at the same time humans were inventing the use of fossil fuels for energy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom