if i breed will they be handycap

[email protected] :

i have a crooked beak rooster if i hatch his offspring will they all be crooked to

I wouldn't breed a crooked beaked rooster. It's probably genetic although it can be from a problem with incubation. It's better to be safe than sorry.

We posted at the same time. Great minds think alike
wink.png

Last edited:
We did post at about the same time with the same answer, LOL. I have seen a couple of crossbeak cockerels back when I used to raise Ameraucanas. They were euthanized rather than pass that trait on to their progeny. A crossbeak hen is sometimes okay to use for a layer, but a rooster has no purpose other than a breeder or a pet since he can't lay eggs. I would not breed a crossbeak rooster (or hen), no.

Last edited:
Please don't. Why take the chance (a pretty strong chance) of hatching out a bunch of special needs chicks? Lots of nice, healthy roosters out there.

Quote:
x2

x3
I have a cross-beak hen. She has done pretty well for herself, but it is difficult for her to eat and very sad to watch her pecking around in the yard knowing that she can't pick anything up. In spite of being able to grow and even lay eggs pretty regularly, she just can't maintain weight. So, rather than watching her slowly starve to death surrounded by food, we have made the difficult choice to cull her this fall before winter hits and she really struggles with being able to get enough food to maintain herself. Many chicks with this deformity aren't so lucky as to be able to survive to maturity, or are unable to meet their body's needs once they start producing eggs and starve to death early in life. Please don't breed a chicken with this deformity and doom some of his chicks to this short life.

Quote:
x2

x3
I have a cross-beak hen. She has done pretty well for herself, but it is difficult for her to eat and very sad to watch her pecking around in the yard knowing that she can't pick anything up. In spite of being able to grow and even lay eggs pretty regularly, she just can't maintain weight. So, rather than watching her slowly starve to death surrounded by food, we have made the difficult choice to cull her this fall before winter hits and she really struggles with being able to get enough food to maintain herself. Many chicks with this deformity aren't so lucky as to be able to survive to maturity, or are unable to meet their body's needs once they start producing eggs and starve to death early in life. Please don't breed a chicken with this deformity and doom some of his chicks to this short life.

x4

Its better not to breed them.Find a good roo.why would you want to breed a deformed roo to make deformed chicks????
hu.gif
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom