If I build a 5' tall fence around the perimeter of my yard

Wjeffgriggs

Songster
8 Years
Aug 29, 2011
If I build a 5' tall fence around the perimeter of my yard (which is approxemently 1.2 acres) will this cut down on at least 60% of my predator issues. Might run a electric fence wire at the bottom outside of the fence to prevent climbers or diggers. What do you think? Has anyone tried this that can say if it is worth the time and money. I know this want help with hawks and owls

I would run a electric line about 4-5 inches off the ground (Mink/Weasel) and one about a foot off the ground (Raccoon/Dog) Raccoons can climb darn near anything.

My rooster pen (Freezer Camp) is made with poultry plastic netting. I ran both electric lines and nothing has gotten in. If it was near any trees branches I would have run a line along the top too. If i was still having a problems with Eagles I would have zig zagged a few lines across the pen top.

I have a 4 ft livestock fence around 2 acres of our just over 5 acre property. Inside that are the pens attached to the coops and they free range when I want them to and am home to keep an eye on things. That has cut WAY down on the roaming dog issues. In fact, it's almost eliminated them entirely except when we have to open the driveway gate for a delivery. Dang dogs have "open gate radar", I think. Those dogs are the main daytime predators here, though a fox or coyote can easily jump that height, but at least it's made it so something can't easily run across our hill and grab a chicken as it goes without climbing, jumping or digging. It also serves to keep the chickens in. Some of them could fly over it, but they just don't since it is such a large area.

No predator losses at all in the almost 6 years of keeping chickens, though I know the odds will catch up with me one day. Part of the credit also goes to my great roosters.

Well maybe the mink are dumber up here because in 15 years the mink have never gotten in, nor the raccoons.

Back
Top Bottom