1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If I build a 5' tall fence around the perimeter of my yard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Wjeffgriggs, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Wjeffgriggs

Wjeffgriggs Out Of The Brooder

Aug 29, 2011
    If I build a 5' tall fence around the perimeter of my yard (which is approxemently 1.2 acres) will this cut down on at least 60% of my predator issues. Might run a electric fence wire at the bottom outside of the fence to prevent climbers or diggers. What do you think? Has anyone tried this that can say if it is worth the time and money. I know this want help with hawks and owls

2. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    I would run a electric line about 4-5 inches off the ground (Mink/Weasel) and one about a foot off the ground (Raccoon/Dog) Raccoons can climb darn near anything.

My rooster pen (Freezer Camp) is made with poultry plastic netting. I ran both electric lines and nothing has gotten in. If it was near any trees branches I would have run a line along the top too. If i was still having a problems with Eagles I would have zig zagged a few lines across the pen top.

3. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    you need at least another 2ft... any mid size canine can jump 5ft fence easy...

4. Two Creeks Farm

Two Creeks Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2011
    Hedgesville, WV
    Most predators can climb well over 5 feet, electric is probably the best bet for just about anyone.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have a 4 ft livestock fence around 2 acres of our just over 5 acre property. Inside that are the pens attached to the coops and they free range when I want them to and am home to keep an eye on things. That has cut WAY down on the roaming dog issues. In fact, it's almost eliminated them entirely except when we have to open the driveway gate for a delivery. Dang dogs have "open gate radar", I think. Those dogs are the main daytime predators here, though a fox or coyote can easily jump that height, but at least it's made it so something can't easily run across our hill and grab a chicken as it goes without climbing, jumping or digging. It also serves to keep the chickens in. Some of them could fly over it, but they just don't since it is such a large area.

No predator losses at all in the almost 6 years of keeping chickens, though I know the odds will catch up with me one day. Part of the credit also goes to my great roosters.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:mink weasel kina hop as they walk watch a ferret in a pet store sometime same difference

7. BlackBart

BlackBart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Well maybe the mink are dumber up here because in 15 years the mink have never gotten in, nor the raccoons.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by