If I can't find organic ACV, am I wasting my money....

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
by using regular apple cider vinegar?
There's not a organic or health food store within 50 miles of this place and since I'll be using alot I don't want to have the hassle of ordering it online.
Also, do I work them up to the 1 tsp. per quart, say start with a 1/4 tsp. and work my way up or will they drink it within getting accustomed to the taste?

I'm not sure about the first question, but if you believe the label there is a difference. My chicks I started with just water, then read ACV helps with pasty butt so I put a whole tsp in per quart. They drank it just fine, I didn't notice any differences in their drinking habits.

I was kinda wondering the same thing. Is a health food or organic food store the only place you can get the real stuff, other than ordering online? And does just regular old ACV have any benefit at all?

paula

You're supposed to get apple cider vinegar "with the mother". I think Bragg's makes it. The "mother" shows up as cloudy stuff at the bottom, (I think) that it's unpasteurized which is the healthy version.

Last edited:
Is there an apple orchard nearby? I get my ACV from the cider mill that sells anything and everything made with apples. Even apple donuts, yum! Or maybe some (amish) farmer store that sells jellys, baked goods, bulk items etc. I hope that helps.

Many grocery stores that have a natural food section now carry organic ACV, with the mother. And yes, there's a difference. The organic, with the mother, still contains the live culture. The cooked and filtered ACV does not.

Bragg isn't the only brand of ACV with the mother, I've bought others, but I can't remember the brand names off hand. The Bragg is the only one I can get locally. Which annoys me because my DH and I take it ourselves, and Bragg tastes a lot worse than the other brand I had before.

I'm going to put some in a bottle of apple juice and let it ferment, and see how that turns out. That may be a good solution for you, too, if you're unable to find a local source. That way you'd only have to go out of the way to buy it once in a while, like if your culture peters out after awhile.

I do not use ACV. Some farmers near me with commercial flocks absolutely use it and swear by it. We both raise good birds and have good eggs.

I do not doubt it has advantages; but it's another cost in production. If you're doign OK without it, then how does one justify the expense.

As far as organic vs. non-organic. If your flock is not organically certified, don't worry about the source. It's not worth the added cost.

The vinegar is made from apples which aren't fit for table/slicing use. They are crushed, then fermented with specific yeasts which form vinegar rather than alcohol. During this, the sediment falls to the bottom and only the clarified vinegar is taken from the top, filtered, then bottled.

I am more frightened of pesticide residues in my fruit and vegetables more than anything I could ever put in my livestock and consequently eat (and by an order of magnitude). But, any 'chemical residues' in these apples would be bound to the sediment in the barrel and would sink to the bottom and only be found in the liquid in the most minute ammounts. So, vinegar is not even in my top 100 list of things which should be bought organically over conventional list.

Back
Top Bottom