If I get a few adult Coturnix quail can I let them out of the coop sometimes??

aaabirdman

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
NY
Hi I am planning to get a couple of Coturnix quail.They will already be adults. I wanted to know if I can let them out of the coop sometimes. Will they fly away? Are they like the bobwhites, that they fly away if you let them out? If I clip their wings can I let them out? please reply.

Hi I am planning to get a couple of Coturnix quail.They will already be adults. I wanted to know if I can let them out of the coop sometimes. Will they fly away? YES Are they like the bobwhites, that they fly away if you let them out? YES If I clip their wings can I let them out? please reply.

Some days I would love to let my quail out but between them not coming back like chickens to the coop. I have hawks that live in the neighborhood. SO one way or another they would be gone. A couple have escaped and they are GONE both male and female. I watch them and in my heart of hearts I know from their actions they would leave and never return. Clipping wings is not enough, they are ground runners. I have a chain link fence and they can get through it, chicken wire slows them down but given an inch they are gone. Keep them in the coop is what I would recommend and if you want mine. They are for sale!

quails cannot free range like chickens. even if you clip their wings. they just run away.

unless your whole yard was completely covered with 1/2" hardware cloth lol.

I have a male that I have let out and after 3 days, he had not went more then 15-20 feet from my pen. Every night, he would sit at the door of the pen and walk off in the morning when I came to feed the other 2...So, I let him back in and he is happy as anything now.

But, I hatched them myself and raised them. I would think an adult bird would be gone in a heart beat if you didn't raise them from hatch day yourself.

They usually free range just once....
lau.gif
Bill

Back
Top Bottom