If I hatch another rooster how do I find someone to rehome him?

Winterland

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2022
So I’m new to raising chickens and have gone through many ups and downs as I took care of my chicks. They’re 22 weeks old now and this morning I found my 2 first eggs. I was shocked at first but I was filled with so much pride with my little Pui Pui. She doesn’t seem too interested in sitting on them and I really would love to incubate them but I’m really worried about ending up with another rooster. I already have 2 and I adore them but a third is where I draw the line. Even if I was strong enough to cull him it’s illegal to do so where I live. My question is what would I do if I hatch another rooster or worse both eggs turn out to be roosters? Who should I reach out to that would be willing to take him? I wouldn’t even ask for money or a trade as long as I knew he would not end up in the wrong hands. (There are people around here who may be into dog fighting)

Attachments

• 0603FB63-D3B1-4D64-B4C3-0C5C433FD9B5.jpeg
    0603FB63-D3B1-4D64-B4C3-0C5C433FD9B5.jpeg
    174 KB · Views: 13
  • 393FF160-839A-4A61-847A-4FA394A90356.jpeg
    393FF160-839A-4A61-847A-4FA394A90356.jpeg
    638.1 KB · Views: 4
Even if it is illegal to cull a rooster (which makes no sense to me) how is anyone going to know that its been done and who is going to report you? Seems silly. But aside from the abovementioned options we have farm stores that have cages for unwanted roosters (I'm sure they're usually eaten) on their property. Its not active right now because of bird flu but I have dropped a couple roosters there.

Even if it is illegal to cull a rooster (which makes no sense to me) how is anyone going to know that its been done and who is going to report you? Seems silly. But aside from the abovementioned options we have farm stores that have cages for unwanted roosters (I'm sure they're usually eaten) on their property. Its not active right now because of bird flu but I have dropped a couple roosters there.
Thank you for answering, I don’t think I’d be able to butcher myself (I wouldnt even know where to start) but I’ll look into the farm stores around my area, thank you

this morning I found my 2 first eggs...I really would love to incubate them
The first few eggs are usually quite small. That does not leave much space inside for a chick to develop.

If you wait until she has been laying for a while, she will lay bigger eggs, which usually work better for hatching.

(Of course, which eggs to hatch does not solve the problem of what to do with cockerels, which was your original question.)

what would I do if I hatch another rooster or worse both eggs turn out to be roosters? Who should I reach out to that would be willing to take him?
This forum has a sale & rehoming section. You could try that, in addition to the other things that have been suggested.

Back
Top Bottom