1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

If I leave my chicken in for 3 days will she not want to go thereECT:

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken Charlotte, Jan 17, 2011.

1. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Hello I want to leave my chicken in for more than 3 days to make her sleep in a sertan coop will she not want to go in there because she is afraid she will get locked up for many more days if thats how to explain it:thumbsup

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Lock her in the coop. If she's older and set in her ways about going into a certain coop, you may have to lock her in for more than just a few days.

3. PhilErvin

PhilErvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2009
    Yucaipa, CA
    When I first introduced mine to their new coop I locked them in for over a week. When I finally opened the pop door they were reluctant to venture out. Once they all went out into the run they were imprinted with "where to roost". Now they put themselves to bed every evining and I simply go out and lock the run door to keep them safe. [​IMG]

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Is she afraid of the other chickens? That could be an issue.

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:Can you give a bit more detail??? Is this a new coop??? New bird?? Has something changed to make her not want to go inside??

6. Chicken Charlotte

Chicken Charlotte Out of the Brooder

Jun 7, 2010
    QLD
    Ok Heres the detail we built a new coop and all her friends died she has been with another flock for a while now and puts herself to bed down there so we did this one up and bought a new chicken they are fine together but she just does not seem to go in there at night she goes back down to the other coop but weirder she will go back to lay her eggs in there????

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by