If I mix a Ameraucana with a Delaware....what should I expect

Quote:
Do you have any pictures? I would love to see what they could look like. Kinda excited for spring to come so I can start my egg collecting/incubating project!

Quote:
You can mix any different chickens for the most part I guess and the chicks will be fine. Don't get me wrong when I say that "Mutts" or "Mixes" In My Opinion, seem to be way more vigorous and healthy for the most part, I got alot of em! I do love the purebreds too! Some I mix and some I keep pure.

Im not sure exactly what you mean by you " just want to make sure the offspring will be ok"?? But Mixed breeds do just as well as pures,and
big_smile.png
If its a hen It will lay eggs.
big_smile.png
AND as a special +++ when you mixing with EEs you never know what your gonna get and if nothing else your gonna have a really pretty yard flock.
wink.png

I have never breed or thought about breeding chickens, so I am new to this whole hatching an egg and having grow into something. I didn't know if mixing breeds would have detrimental effects on their health or create infertile or deformed chicks. My hens have been laying for about 14 months, pretty regularly (up to last week, they are molting), the delaware is an egg machine, but my buff orphs are just as busy in the nest.

Do you think a 18 month old hen will accept a 6 month old rooster as a mate?

as others have said, no problem mixing breeds. chicks wont be deformed or infertile.

you could call the cross chicks Easter Eggers, as they are a nonstandardized mix anyways. Can't see your roo very well, he seems to be black and white, which seems to indicate he is silver.. if he is, then all chicks out of the delaware will end up being black and white colored chickens & likely look more delaware in color- mostly white body with black on necks, tails. Also, the boys will have the barring in the black parts of their tails and neck.. the girls won't have any barring. its because this barring is a sex linked gene.

Egg color, it depends on what the roo is carrying. EE roos can either carry none of the gene that makes blue or green eggs, or just one copy, or is pure for it.. respectively the results out of del hen will be: all tan/brown(not even a single green or blue egg), half blue/green half tan/brown or all blue/green eggs.

Quote:
I have never breed or thought about breeding chickens, so I am new to this whole hatching an egg and having grow into something. I didn't know if mixing breeds would have detrimental effects on their health or create infertile or deformed chicks. My hens have been laying for about 14 months, pretty regularly (up to last week, they are molting), the delaware is an egg machine, but my buff orphs are just as busy in the nest.

Do you think a 18 month old hen will accept a 6 month old rooster as a mate?

as others have said, no problem mixing breeds. chicks wont be deformed or infertile.

you could call the cross chicks Easter Eggers, as they are a nonstandardized mix anyways. Can't see your roo very well, he seems to be black and white, which seems to indicate he is silver.. if he is, then all chicks out of the delaware will end up being black and white colored chickens & likely look more delaware in color- mostly white body with black on necks, tails. Also, the boys will have the barring in the black parts of their tails and neck.. the girls won't have any barring. its because this barring is a sex linked gene.

Egg color, it depends on what the roo is carrying. EE roos can either carry none of the gene that makes blue or green eggs, or just one copy, or is pure for it.. respectively the results out of del hen will be: all tan/brown(not even a single green or blue egg), half blue/green half tan/brown or all blue/green eggs.

I don't think she will have a problem with a young Roo, she may boss him around alittle, but they should be ok once he gains her respect. LOL
Oh one more thing, I did hear and I'm not sure how true it is, but you should not breed full blooded brother and sisters, I don't know about the chickens but I raise teacup/toypoodles and it is a very big NoNo's in the dog world. But I dont' know about chickens but I was told its not a good practice so I just don't do it.
smile.png

Last edited:
Breeding good looking brothers and sisters in chickens can get you some more beautiful chickens. Not a no-no with chickens.

And a good looking son over mom or father over daughter with line breeding can get you some pretty birds as well.

Quote:
See now I know, Thankyou! I do line breeding with the dogs, but was told no brothers and sisters with the chickens. Who knew! well I guess you do and now I know too!
big_smile.png
I knew that breeding the parents back to offspring was ok though. See thats why I like BYC you learn something new everyday!
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom