If I raise new cockerels with an agressive rooster will they learn it too?

Cloverr39

Crowing
Jan 27, 2022
Latvia
I have a human agressive rooster and I'm planning on keeping 2-3 of the cockerels out of the chicks I've hatched. I plan to integrate them into the flock at around 8 weeks old. I need these new cockerels to grow into nice roosters. So far all the roosters I've raised have turned agressive at around 1 year old. I think it might’ve been caused by me letting them be lap chickens when they were young. This year I'm gonna try not handling them much. Question is will the young cockerels learn to be human agressive from the main rooster? Would it be best to remove the rooster from the flock as soon as integrate the young cockerels (and pullets) or can I leave them all be until the cockerels start to mature at like 6-8 months old?

I raise lap chickens and don't have a problem with them as adults. I have even taken in "problem" roosters and not had problems with them. I said to my DH all my roosters are wonderful, but so many people complain about their roosters, he said, "It is not the roosters it is you."
I think this is true. I don't have kids that teach roosters to chase, I don't run from a rooster, I am not timid with roosters, I never play with them with a shoe, or a broom. All my roosters offer themselves to be held.

I raise lap chickens and don't have a problem with them as adults. I have even taken in "problem" roosters and not had problems with them. I said to my DH all my roosters are wonderful, but so many people complain about their roosters, he said, "It is not the roosters it is you."
I think this is true. I don't have kids that teach roosters to chase, I don't run from a rooster, I am not timid with roosters, I never play with them with a shoe, or a broom. All my roosters offer themselves to be held.
Yes, I probably should change the way I act around him. What do you suggest I do when he does attack? Should I just walk away and pretend I don't see him?

Yes, I probably should change the way I act around him. What do you suggest I do when he does attack? Should I just walk away and pretend I don't see him?
I've had good luck with establishing myself as the dominant one... when my aggressive roo attacked, I picked him up by the feet and shook him down until he went limp. 🤣 He wasn't sure what just happened, but he definitely didn't want any part of it again!

Once I let him know not to mess with mama, he hasn't been aggressive with me... but he still attacks my kids and other people, and my hens, so he's bought himself a one way ticket to the roaster pan.

Back
Top Bottom