If I wanted.............

Discussion in 'Quail' started by KingsCalls, Aug 10, 2010.

1. KingsCalls

KingsCalls Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2007
    New Market,Tn.
    If I wanted a breed of quail that would hatch out their own young, what breed would I need to look into?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Almost None In Captivity.

Buttons Would Probably Be Most Likely To Do It.

3. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I looked at this and saw that you have bantam barred rocks. Aren't they broody? Give them some Button or Brown quail eggs to hatch.

4. emvickrey

emvickrey ChowDown Silkie Farm

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    I want a broody. We went to auction last week and they had a BO and her babies. It was soo cute but we went to sell not buy. I almost done it anyway. I still wish I had. IT was just too cute all those babies all over her and under her wings.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:BAD IDEA.... NOT ONLY WILL THEY LIKELY CRUSH THE EGGS BUT THEN THERE'S THE WHOLE DISEASE THING...

6. Buttercup Chillin

Buttercup Chillin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2008
    SouthEast TX
    I thought of the disease issue later.

Some people have had some luck though with the Coturnix setting up nests and hatching them out. So if he set up a nesting area and crossed all fingers and toes, he might luck out with the more settled varieties.

Maybe Jumbo Browns or Manchurian Golds, mine don't seem to flighty and they mostly lay in the same area of the pen. Once I separate by variety I may give them hidy nests and try it myself. Next year this season is almost over.

7. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    Coturnix hens usually will not go broody. I have tried to get them to, but it just won't work.

8. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    Quote:BAD IDEA.... NOT ONLY WILL THEY LIKELY CRUSH THE EGGS BUT THEN THERE'S THE WHOLE DISEASE THING...

OK, somebody please fill me in on the "Disease Thing". I have my quail pens near my chickens and the chickens often hang out under the quail pens to eat what they spill. Is this a bad thing?

9. jessaw1981

jessaw1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2010
    Franklin Nc
    yes please tell me to when I letmy chickens out guest place they go is under quail cage.

10. emvickrey

Mar 5, 2009
    Hornbeak, Tennessee
    They must have some good poop because my dog even hangs out there. I have to make her quit. So disgusting. I let the chickens in the east coop out today and most of them are under the quail pens and the others are under the porch. Both shady places.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by