if my R.I.R peck my silkie will it hurt her?

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by silkie4300, Feb 2, 2014.

1. silkie4300

silkie4300 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    yesterday i bought a silkie, my road island reds keep pecking it should i tell them off , i dont want it to get hurt is the pecks hurting her?[​IMG]

2. [​IMG]
    Well, I am sure the Silkie isn't happy about it, and yes I am sure it hurts. Just make sure nothing gets too bad, remember they have to work out the pecking order.

3. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

Yes, they can hurt her and even kill her if it gets bloody enough. The best thing to do with new birds is keep them in a caged or fenced area within the flock for a couple of weeks so that everybody sees each other, but no body touches. This gives them all a chance to get to know each other and establish the pecking order. If you leave the new bird separated for a few weeks, mixing them back in should go easy. But always be on hand for another week to watch them, and always intervene if it turns bloody.

Good luck with your flock!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  4. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Silkies are especially prone to harm if pecked in the head. Being the only silkie, they will hone in on her for the attack.

1 person likes this.
  5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

X2
    X2

Alright [​IMG] great to have you here with us [​IMG]

You are getting great info here, take care [​IMG]

6. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! drumstick diva and TwoCrows gave you good advice. Special birds like silkies sometimes do not do well in a mixed flock, so do be prepared to keep her separated from the RIR.

7. silkie4300

silkie4300 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2014
    thank you , we have put her in a seperate coop and run for tonight but now she is shes not as shy and we are going to keep an eye on them![​IMG]

8. That is good, Silkies are usually the underdog in a mixed flock. So keeping a close eye out is a what you need to do. [​IMG]

Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

9. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Welcome to BYC!

10. tnthomas29

tnthomas29 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2014
    Hi everyone....my girls just got 2 silkies to add to our flock of 12 mixed that we raised. It's breaking my heart because they are doing the same thing to the 2 silkies. I put then out in our good size run here and there and when we are not home or at roost time. They are in a open wired dog cage. My husband would kill me, but I am about ready to just go with all silkies and oriental bantams. The rest of our flock shoot start laying soon.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by