If my rooster starts crowing?

katjames11

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 20, 2014
My rooster has just started crowing and sounds like someone has him by the throat does this mean he almost ready to mate with the girls? He follows my Sussex around everywhere she goes placing his face to hers all the time and gives her little pecks on the face,its quite interesting to watch as he has run from the hens & been scared of them till I got the Sussex.Is this the beginning of his rooster-hood?

Last edited:
Crowing can be considered the beginning of rooster-hood,sure. They reach maturity beginning with crowing, but if they are just starting, then they probably need to get their feet wet before they are a "man" rooster. Breed type and age play a large role.

For example, my d'uccle roo started crowing at 1.5 months old, he would fumble about trying to mate my girls but he really didn't know what he was doing, lol. Only at about 5 months did he begin mating successfully and start doing rooster dancing, offering treats to girls, etc

Hope that helps a bit.

Thanks THWK40, He certainly wont leave the new girls(Sussex) side, I let her out of the coop to have a run around & he didnt move from the corner of the coop where he could see her & thats when his semi crowing started.

Hello again, I was told yesterday that Bob (my araucana was probably 10 weeks old) or a bantam which isnt right, they were going on his size. I bought him from a reputable co-op,family owned business and Im sure they wouldnt lie to me. I dont know anything about chickens as Ive said but I believe they told me correctly.

He was really sooky at first ans still is a little wary of me but he is getting more used to me the more time I spend in the coop, which I tend to hang out with them once a day other then going down to feed them each morning and afternoon with craps. Is that weird of me?

Back
Top Bottom