If not chicken wire??? Then

We started out with 6ft. chicken wire. Had a deer clear one side of the turkey pen and tear out the opposite side (didn't even pause). Wouldn't have believed it if we hadn't been sitting in the kitchen looking out the window. Switched over to 1"x2" 6ft. welded wire and were glad we did (big lab tried it's darndest to get to the chooks and turks). The welded wire also keeps the toms from completely rubbing off all the feathers on their breasts.

Quote:
Judy,

I know what you mean. That's all my grandparents and parents used in the 40's and 50's. That said, the chicken wire they used was 100 times stronger than the cheap stuff in the market today. My 6 year old grandson was able to stretch the hexagon poultry wire. If he can do it, so can a racoon.

We used 1/4" hardware cloth on the windows, people door and lower inside walls of the hen house. We don't have a fenced run but our property is completely fenced and has 1" ag wire 2/3 of the way down to the ground. Our Great Pyr keeps most predators away, and even barks at hawks.
smile.png

Judy, you are very lucky. I know people who have had chicken wire ripped off the posts by predators. Others said they found holes torn in the chicken wire by varmints.

We must have bought some super-strength chicken wire because neither I or my husband could pinch the hexagons closed (after reading this thread, I dragged him out to experiment
wink.png
). Perhaps there are different qualities available, because the stuff we got is quite sturdy and not at all flimsy. We have it dug 8 inches into ground and staple-gunned to 4x4 posts... I really can't imagine anything that we have locally getting through it. For daytime protection, it'll suit our needs perfectly. To each their own!

We used 2" x 4" welded wire, buried about a foot in the ground and nailed to 4x4 posts. Then we put a layer of chicken wire around the bottom. We used up the rest of the welded wire on another row across the top of the posts, to make it tall enough to walk in. We have chicken wire all across the top like a roof, with the sections tied together.

I live in the City. I also live along a year round creek that usually floods in the winter. We have all manner of wildlife here. I have already relocated 6 possums, three raccoons and a beaver. Skunk season is just starting.

Sooo, I had to build something strong. I used 1/2" welded wire (1st cousin to hardware cloth I guess). The run is 10x40 and the wire is set in a concrete perimeter and bolted to the fence posts which are also set in concrete. The run is covered in the same wire. The two gates have two latches each with twist-close doohickies through which is placed a carabiner so the raccoons can't figure out how to open them. I'm crossing my fingers that not even a mouse can get inside the girls' castle......except during the day when I leave the gate open while they're out playing, but I don't think it's likely. Food and water is readily available inside the coop, but only water outside. I figure it is less likely to attract varmints; besides, with all the foraging they can do outdoors, feed is probably not a necessity outside.

03-31-07Run31.jpg

The girls love it. When I'm home, I let them out in to the rests of the yard while I keep an eye on the sky for this lovely couple (whose babies are now learning to fly).

RedTails06.jpg

The run is attached to the henhouse, an 8x8x9 shed.

03-31-07Run06.jpg

03-31-07Run09.jpg

03-31-07Run03.jpg

Enjoying freedom
IMGA2387.jpg

Maggie, Silver Laced Wyandotte
03-31-07Run20.jpg

Mayberry, Silver Laced Wyandotte
IMGA2357.jpg

MardiGras, Golden Laced Wyandotte
IMGA2403.jpg

Millie, New Hampshire Red
IMGA2379.jpg

Marsala, Buff Orpington
IMGA2368.jpg

Maya, Amaraucana
IMGA2385.jpg

I think it will pay off to make sure things are secure.

I used game fence to keep predators out and then nylon deer mesh in the inside of the posts to keep chicks in on the new runs. I must say I have never had an issue just using chicken wire.

I went heavier this time because there are a lot of new people and dogs running at large.

K8tiecat, That is a great pic of the mating hawks, and they are beautiful birds. That said, I would really watch your chickens when they are out of the pen, as around here, anyway, a hawk will sometimes swoop down on a chicken while you are standing right there in the yard with them. They are fast, and as they get used to you, they won't be as frightened of you, and will feel safe enough to go for the offered "lunch" there in the yard with you.

Thank you for the advice Judy. I am always with my girls when they're out of the run. The hawks in my back yard are Red Shouldered Hawks. They weigh only 1.4 lbs with a wing span of approximately 36-42". Once the pullets are fully grown, this type of hawk will not be like to pick up an 8 lbs chicken.....thank goodness. I suppose if they really get hungry, they might dive and eat lunch on the spot, not sure.

A few days ago I heard the chickens go berzerk and then dead quiet....I looked up and a gigantic blue heron was flying about 50' over the backyard. I'll just betcha he was after those adorable little ducklings in the creek. I only saw seven ducklings last time I looked.

Because of the size, a hawk will not swoop down and try to carry off a chicken. However, they will swoop down and impale the chicken with its talons and yes, eat it on the spot. I doubt if they will try to tackle an 8 lb chicken, but they will go after smaller adults.

Back
Top Bottom