If the electricity DOES go out...

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by rodriguezpoultry, Jan 31, 2011.

1. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Would it be feasible for me to keep the eggs in the incubator warm by "sitting" on the eggs? Also having the dog sit with me since my body temp is lower than what's needed for eggs to incubate?

I'm sure a few hours won't hurt the eggs, but a day or two? Not such a good thing.

2. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    A day or two? Yeesh. . .

Would you really want to sit on them for that long? Honestly, in that case, I'm not sure what to say. If I were you and I had a woodstove, I'd get that going, keep a thermometer/hygrometer around, and keep a pot of water around too. . .

But, we naturally have one, since power outages are common out here. And so are trees.

3. Attack Chicken

Attack Chicken [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Hu

Sep 25, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN
    Could be possible to lay in bed and have the eggs up next to you. Just don't fall asleep or roll over [​IMG].. Also Hot waterbottles in the incubator will help, Hand warmers? Depending on how many eggs I guess you could put in your bra but be carefull (Unless your a guy [​IMG] )

AC

Thankfully I have 3 broodies that don't have eggs yet as my backup plan.

4. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    Ive got handwarmers to put in the bator if the power goes out. Also to put the the brooder as I have 3 week ol,d chicks and almost 2 week old ducks.

5. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Quote:Thankfully I usually have anywhere from 1-5 broodies around. [​IMG]

6. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Quote:Yes, those handwarmers I think last around 10 hours!!!

7. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    That would have been a good one. Thing is, I think we sold out of hand warmers around 1PM today. No broodies, so that's out. [​IMG]

But, how do I get the water bottles hot? Everything in this apartment is electric. Unfortunately, no woodstove either and no fireplace. [​IMG]

8. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    Handwarmers, warm water, and wrapping the incubator in towels will all work. Hot packs + wrapping in towels are probably your best bet though!

9. rodriguezpoultry

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    K. So pretty much, wrapping it up NICE and tight. K...what about the single week old baby chick in the brooder? Pretty sure I can just keep that one close to me and it'll be fine. Plus, the Shih Tzu LOVES baby chicks.

10. Junkmanme

Junkmanme Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Ya gotta be kidding us.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

-Junkmanme- [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by