If the hens can open the door, the raccoons probably can too!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by lengel, Sep 1, 2008.

1. lengel

lengel Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2008
    MA
    DH finished the second tractor yesterday and we put the RIRs inside. They got through the night beautifully. We went to a movie this afternoon and came back to find them all over the yard. Yes, that's right - the hens figured out how to open the door. DH had decided that the first tractor was too elaborate so he went with a simpler design for the second.

We rounded them up and shored up the door with a stack of firewood. Then I said, "You know. I'm thinking that if the chickens can open the door, the raccoons can probably figure it out too." That got a ha-ha.

At this rate, I will be learning about chickens until the day I die.

2. hoosier

hoosier Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:But it is a great way to spend your time isn't it?!

3. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    You're right, a coon will be able to open that door in a flash, and they are smart enough and strong enough to move the firewood too.

Time to rethink that latch system. [​IMG]

4. bobbieguyette

bobbieguyette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Your right the raccoons will figure it out. I use a screw with a nut on one and bungee cord on another coop and wire tie and twist it well around the door.dont leave em out in the wire pens they love to put there paws in wiggle them so a chicken: thinks they are food so they will come close and wham they got your chickies Been there done that! not fun![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by