If they aren't australorp chicks, what are they?

Kryden

In the Brooder
Mar 31, 2017
Hi everybody, I'm hoping someone can help me identify these beauties.

We've raised australorps for years and have often hatched our own. This year we decided we wanted to bring in some fresh bloodlines & we ordered 20 black australorp chicks (15 pullets & 5 cockerels) We chose a hatch date of Feb 27th and 23 chicks arrived at the post office on Feb 28th (they sent us a few extras). 21 of them are still alive, but they aren't feathering out like I expected them too. Some of the chicks had a spot on their head, and sure enough we have 5 that feathered out looking like barred rocks. Of the other 16, only 2 or 3 look like what I have come to expect of black australorp chicks. The rest of them have me scratching my head a little. From above & behind they look solid black. However, looking at them from the front or side they have speckles or spots on their chests and front part of their wings. In all my years of raising australorps, I don't recall having ever seen one look quite like these.

In my last e-mail to the hatchery I included pics and asked them about it, but they never replied back to that one (maybe they didn't read it) To their credit they did replace our entire order though, at no cost to us.
Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

These are the best pics I could get, but I did try to make sure that I got both top shots and front/side shots to show what I was talking about... they don't like to hold still for very long.
smile.png

The sure do not look at all like Australorps - I don't know if hatchery breeds are that far off, or what it is. Sorry. Wiser folks should be coming on behind me.

Do the replacement chicks look like Australorps?

The sure do not look at all like Australorps - I don't know if hatchery breeds are that far off, or what it is. Sorry. Wiser folks should be coming on behind me.

Do the replacement chicks look like Australorps?
So far they they do, and they look much more alike than the first batch did. They are just barely over a week old though and are still mostly covered in fluff so I suppose they could still surprise me.

Last edited:
those are sure funky looking. Mixes of something, for sure. I'm not sure if that's partial lacing, or speckling/mottling I'm seeing, but I'm leaning toward the latter. I don't have much experience with mottled birds, so can't be sure. Someone jumped a pen, though, cause they don't look like any pure bred I'm aware of.

What hatchery was it?

those are sure funky looking. Mixes of something, for sure. I'm not sure if that's partial lacing, or speckling/mottling I'm seeing, but I'm leaning toward the latter. I don't have much experience with mottled birds, so can't be sure. Someone jumped a pen, though, cause they don't look like any pure bred I'm aware of.

What hatchery was it?

They are different, that's for sure! I looked at a lot of pictures online but couldn't anything that looked quite like these. We ordered them from Estes Hatchery. They really were great about it though and were quick to make it right.

Last edited:

What hatchery was it?
x2

What is the comb type on the ones with the barring on the chest? Could they possibly be silver laced Wyandotte?

Back
Top Bottom