If they have sand in their crib do they need Sweet PDZ

ChrisisaGirl

Songster
Nov 10, 2015
Sacramento
Does sand alone control the stink? yes when I say crib I mean the kind you'd put a baby and toddler in. I got a free crib and I am closing the slats up s o they can't get out and putting them in there.

Last edited:
How many are in there? If the sand is very dry, it may be ok but a drying agent may be necessary. Can you get pine shavings for bedding? That tends to stay dryer.

there's 9 babies and 1 momma in their enclosure. I don't want to use pine. from research sand is the best floor covering. I suppose pine would be ok for the crib because it's not going to be getting wet from rain
. But when they go to their grow up to full release size cage of 10x10 I want soemthing I can jst walk in and scoop like a litterbox
How many are in there? If the sand is very dry, it may be ok but a drying agent may be necessary. Can you get pine shavings for bedding? That tends to stay dryer.

Last edited:
We don't have a coop not per se.
There is a coop in the backyard but they're not blocked into it at night and everything it's just a structure that they go into when they want to lay eggs or lay down and it doesn't have a run attached to it. and around here if you don't lock them into their crate or whatever you're keeping them in, until they're mostly grown, ( we have bantams)then something will take them it's happened before twice
I let broodies back into the flock by 1-2 weeks after hatch.

But, no, sand will not help keep odor down, I use straight PDZ in brooder...but they go to coop with shavings after 1 week.

Back
Top Bottom