If this rooster is an Ameruacana, what color eggs would his offspring make?

Tre3hugger

Let Your Freak Flag Fly
Mar 21, 2020
NW Massachusetts
So, some people on here have said that this Rooster is an ameruacana(sp?). His feathers are really coming in so I just wanted to confirm that. That would mean he has a blue egg gene right? I have 5 eggs incubating right now of various colors that he sired. What color eggs would say an ameraucana/white leghorn egg make? Or an ameruacana/speckled sussex(pinkish egg)? Would these birds be easter eggers, or olive eggers, because of a blue egg gene dad? Am I even close or way off? Thanks in advance for any info!

Edit:cause I forgot the pics
20200501_102615.jpg

20200501_102629.jpg

20200501_102442.jpg

I personally cannot tell whether he's an Ameraucana, an Easter Egger, an Olive Egger, or some other breed or crossbreed of chicken. (Well, I know a few kinds he cannot be, but I don't know for sure what he IS.)

If he is an Ameraucana, then he should have the blue egg gene, and his daughters should be Easter Eggers or Olive Eggers, depending on what color eggs their mothers lay.

If he is an Easter Egger or an Olive Egger, then he may have two copies or one copy of the blue egg gene (or no copies of it--rare but possible in both Easter Eggers and Olive Eggers.)

If he has two copies of the blue egg gene, then he will pass one copy to each of his chicks, and his daughters will all lay blue or green or olive eggs.

If he has one copy of the blue egg gene, then he will pass one copy to half of his chicks and no copy to the other half of his chicks. So some of his daughters will lay blue or green or olive eggs, and some will lay white or brown eggs.

If he has no copies of the blue egg gene, then he can't pass on what he doesn't have, and you will not get any blue or green eggs from his daughters (unless they had a mother with the blue egg gene.)

You'll only know for sure when his daughters start to lay eggs.

I crossed a Delaware hen with an Ameraucana, and each of the resulting hens had a different shade of green egg, in the aqua to olive-drab range, one of them quite dark green. So, I have to agree with NatJ, you will have to wait and see.

The blue in eggshells comes from bilrubin, and is throughout the eggshell. The brown in eggshells is an overcoat, only on the outside. The most beautiful thing about green eggs is something that often only the cook sees: the eggshell is green on the outside, and light blue on the inside.

Back
Top Bottom