If you are in the UK and have a small flock of geese

JENPEN5151

Hatching
Jul 14, 2016
I have read the very helpful comments on this website in regard to goslings/geese off their legs. The advice has been a God send!
This is the second year our hen has hatched a small number of Goslings. Because our geese have to be enclosed (fox attacks) in an electric fence they are not getting access to our pond and abundant grass. They share this compound with free range chickens and chickens' pellets. Yesterday one of our 4 week old goslings was on the ground and couldn't get up. It was taken into our kitchen in a box and fed diluted Marmite which contains the vital Vit B Niacin (1tsp Marmite to 240 mlsof warm water) by syringe to start with. Later it was able to take this on its own from a shallow dish. Within three hours it was up on its feet shouting to get out of its box. We returned it to the compound the same day. Today for the sake of the rest of the geese we have lightly spread sliced pieces of bread with Marmite and soaked them with diluted Marmite to make a soggy mush for the two goslings as well as the other grown geese. All have eaten avidly. Both goslings are looking good again. We will be giving this to them once a week from now on.
We wish we had known about Niacin a year ago. We were not able to save one of our grown geese with this same inability to stand- at the time his was a mysterious problem that our Vet could not help us with.
Hope this helps some of you out there......

I have read the very helpful comments on this website in regard to goslings/geese off their legs. The advice has been a God send!
This is the second year our hen has hatched a small number of Goslings. Because our geese have to be enclosed (fox attacks) in an electric fence they are not getting access to our pond and abundant grass. They share this compound with free range chickens and chickens' pellets. Yesterday one of our 4 week old goslings was on the ground and couldn't get up. It was taken into our kitchen in a box and fed diluted Marmite which contains the vital Vit B Niacin (1tsp Marmite to 240 mlsof warm water) by syringe to start with. Later it was able to take this on its own from a shallow dish. Within three hours it was up on its feet shouting to get out of its box. We returned it to the compound the same day. Today for the sake of the rest of the geese we have lightly spread sliced pieces of bread with Marmite and soaked them with diluted Marmite to make a soggy mush for the two goslings as well as the other grown geese. All have eaten avidly. Both goslings are looking good again. We will be giving this to them once a week from now on.
We wish we had known about Niacin a year ago. We were not able to save one of our grown geese with this same inability to stand- at the time his was a mysterious problem that our Vet could not help us with.
Hope this helps some of you out there......
Thank you so much for sharing. great news about your gosling.. Vitamin B3 is a life saver.

Love this! It was this thread that made me start giving my goslings marmite, only thing I was thinking about today is salt content if it's OK for the geese?

Love this! It was this thread that made me start giving my goslings marmite, only thing I was thinking about today is salt content if it's OK for the geese?
I was just going to copy this and send it to you glad you have seen it. I don't know what the salt content is in the Marmite but maybe if they have plenty of drinking water and if your geese are like mine they drink alot of water. It will help with the sodium. @Darlingoo

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom