If You Can't Open The Bator...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepinglaura, Mar 13, 2009.

1. peepinglaura

peepinglaura Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    How do you keep the incubator humid enough? I can only keep the incubator's humidity up if I add moist sponges every day. I'm worried that my LG bator, I can have humidity or keep the thing shut- not both.

I have 9 days to work out this problem, but I want to hit the grund running.

Laura

2. needtohatch

needtohatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2009
    Hart Co
    I put some drinking straws together and can fit that down one of the vent holes and them use a medicine dropper to put water in without opening the lid. It takes a while, but I don't lose heat or humidity (I am having trouble keeping my humidity up) so I find it is worth the extra work. [​IMG]

3. Hens_And_Chicks

Hens_And_Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:What a great idea! My chicks just started pipping and one is out of the egg but I need to add water - thanks for an awesome idea!

4. chicklady63

chicklady63 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2009
    I've been using brand new, clean washcloths that I soak in warm water and then squeeze out slightly in my incubator to keep my humidity up and it's working well. Better than the sponges I have used in the past for me.
    I do this as often as needed until time to keep the lid closed & they seem to hold moisture well. I use about four or five, or whatever I feel I need.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2009
  5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Airline tubing from the aquarium section and a syringe.

6. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Straws! Brilliant! I love it!

Chicklady, I'll try washcloths, but I don't know if I have the room!

For anyone using a LG still air: I know if I keep both plugs in, humidity is retained more but air circulation decreases. Do I compromise air for humidity?

Laura

7. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    I've always kept the plugs in during hatch unless the humidity got too high. Some instructions say take them out before hatch and others say don't take them out until the chicks hatch and you want them to dry faster.

8. peepinglaura

Mar 9, 2009
    Tubing, another great idea. OK, plug in during hatch days. Sounds good.

Wouldn't it be logical if bators actually came with implements needed to add humidity during hatch? How bizarre that we have to come up with ingenious ways of sneaking moisture in there.

Laura

9. Akane

Jun 15, 2008
    Your suppose to be able to fill the trays on day 18 and have the water last until hatching is done. Sometimes in dry climates or seasons it doesn't work that way.

10. BawGock

BawGock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Idaho Panhandle, USA
    Quote:I do the same and set up two tubes to different wells just so I have the option to use another well if I need to.
    Carolyn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by