If You Can't Open The Bator...

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
How do you keep the incubator humid enough? I can only keep the incubator's humidity up if I add moist sponges every day. I'm worried that my LG bator, I can have humidity or keep the thing shut- not both.

I have 9 days to work out this problem, but I want to hit the grund running.

Laura

I put some drinking straws together and can fit that down one of the vent holes and them use a medicine dropper to put water in without opening the lid. It takes a while, but I don't lose heat or humidity (I am having trouble keeping my humidity up) so I find it is worth the extra work.
smile.png

Quote:
What a great idea! My chicks just started pipping and one is out of the egg but I need to add water - thanks for an awesome idea!

I've been using brand new, clean washcloths that I soak in warm water and then squeeze out slightly in my incubator to keep my humidity up and it's working well. Better than the sponges I have used in the past for me.
I do this as often as needed until time to keep the lid closed & they seem to hold moisture well. I use about four or five, or whatever I feel I need.

Last edited:
Straws! Brilliant! I love it!

Chicklady, I'll try washcloths, but I don't know if I have the room!

For anyone using a LG still air: I know if I keep both plugs in, humidity is retained more but air circulation decreases. Do I compromise air for humidity?

Laura

I've always kept the plugs in during hatch unless the humidity got too high. Some instructions say take them out before hatch and others say don't take them out until the chicks hatch and you want them to dry faster.

Tubing, another great idea. OK, plug in during hatch days. Sounds good.

Wouldn't it be logical if bators actually came with implements needed to add humidity during hatch? How bizarre that we have to come up with ingenious ways of sneaking moisture in there.

Laura

Your suppose to be able to fill the trays on day 18 and have the water last until hatching is done. Sometimes in dry climates or seasons it doesn't work that way.

Back
Top Bottom