If you could do it all over again, how would you improve your coop?

Make it larger!
smile.png

Same here, I'd make it larger. I was a chicken novice when I built it, so I can't be too upset. It is 3W X 4D X 4/5H. My girls love it but I'm going to have to add on if I want any more chickens. My girls free range all day, so they really didn't need a huge structure since they only utilize it for laying and sleeping.

My first coop (recently finished):
IMG_0253.jpg

Last edited:
Definitely bigger. If you can afford it, go at least twice as big as you think you need.

More thought at the planning stage. Plan for every thing from the floor to the roof ridge to the exact size of any axillary vents to exactly where you will place your feeders and waterers.

Unless funds is a true constraint, make it tall enough to comfortably walk in. My wife can stand up straight in ours, but I cannot. It is more of a hassle than I thought it would be.

Mine is only about 90% complete, and I am already regretting the lack of detailed plans and "shortcuts" I made. I had a basic shape in mind, a vision of the finished project and a truck load of donated lumber.

I've probably only spent $100-150 for mine since most of the lumber was donated or left over from previous projects, so I can't complain too much.

Last edited:
Add another chicken door one for run and one for free range when I'm around. Or another door if have 2 separate sets of chickens. I have room for 18 chickens and only have 8 chickens, but the wife says I can't have anymore
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom