If you could have ANY kind of livestock....

Horses and chickens and turkeys, which of course is what I have now although in a perfect world I would be able to 'adjust' the numbers and breeds and ages of them
wink.png
... I would like to try some other fowl as well, like maybe ducks (possibly this summer!), geese, etc.

I =need= a couple Himalayan Monal (Impeyan) pheasants someday, but have concluded they would not fit well onto this property so I'm afraid it'll have to wait til DH retires and we move.

Would like to try a few feeder pigs someday, and of course I *love* goats.

I tell you, though, I was watching an (older, I think) episode of Dirty Jobs on discovery channel last week, and I think I am in love with yaks. They are shorter than I'd thought they were, but really cute (faces like Jersey cows, which IMHO is the perfection of what a cow should look like) and SO graceful and agile in motion. In a perfect world, I would be twenty years younger, live elsewhere, and have both reason and opportunity to get yaks. Anyone knows anything bad about yaks, don't burst my bubble, a gal's gotta have a dream LOL

Pat

Quote:
Really!?! Goats? Cool! I told DH that that is a benefit of alpacas. Instead, we find someone to house sit and pack everything ourselves. I love backpacking, but backpacking with no backpack! HEAVEN!!

Chickens! Because they are so easy to keep so you can have livestock and a life too!

I'll have to add though that I always wanted a donkey.....
roll.png

To begin with my fantasy lets pretend I own 300 acres of land next to my house then on a few acres lets add fancy giant chicken coops, duck pens, horse barns, arenas and corrals all with electricity and heating and AC and plenty of storage and supplies(Plus the works). Then lets add Splash and Blue Silkies to one huge coop, Red Silkies in another, Lavenders in another, an assorted flock of banty cochins in another, then another with all my laying hens, and rooster pen for each of my different breeds of roosters and of course a pen for all of my Scovies. Then in the horse section one barn with attaching paddocks (large ones that can connectable by opening them) and my 3 horse in one paddock then in the next one the most magnificent Tigerstripe Dun Grulla QH stallion with a big white face and turquoise blue eyes. Then all the acreage that's left would be filled with the some of the most magnificent QH stock in the world in all colors running wild in herds...while were at it lets pretend its summer year round here
big_smile.png
... wow I went overboard lol. Can you tell I'm greedy and have plenty of time to day dream?
tongue.png
Oh and of course I would have all my pets that I have now...adding the imaginary pack of 3 gorgeous gray wolves that exist in my head...! OOps over did it again lol.

Quote:
Really!?! Goats? Cool! I told DH that that is a benefit of alpacas. Instead, we find someone to house sit and pack everything ourselves. I love backpacking, but backpacking with no backpack! HEAVEN!!

Hoegger's Supply has goat packs (look a lot like big saddle bags). I plan on training my goats to drive and pack this spring.

Back
Top Bottom