If You Could Only Have 6 Chickens...

I would have an EE for maybe a pretty blue egg and a great personality, a dominique for that sweet curiousity, a rose comb brown leghorn because every coop needs a little drama, a chantecler for as hardy as they get, a Silver Spangled Hamburg rooster because they are hands down the very best, and a little SS hamburg lady because they are so dainty and pretty!

1. Easter egger
2. Lavender Orpington
3. Silver Laced Wyandotte
4. Ayam Cemani
5. Barred Rock
6. Silkie

I've never owned a silkie, but everything I've read says they're a real treat. The rest are for lovely eggs and personality and FLAIR.

Another idea is to have 6 chickens, all the same breed but in 6 different varieties. I think that would be pretty cool.
Like 6 Araucanas, one each Black, White, Black Breasted Red, Blue, Buff and Silver.
Or 6 Plymouth Rocks in Barred, White, Buff, Silver Penciled, Partridge, Columbian, Blue - sorry, that's 7.
Or 6 Polish - Black, White, White capped black, Golden, Silver, Buff Laced
Leghorns, one each; White, Dark Brown, Black, Silver, Red, Black-Tailed Red.
All Wyandottes but in Silver Laced, Golden Laced, White, Buff, Partridge, Columbian.
Empordanesa in Red, White, Partridge, Blonde, Black-Tailed White, Red-Tailed White.

We could go on and on.

CoChin, bantam Brama, silvergray Dorking, a Wyndot?, salmon Faverol Cock, ... Jersey Giant? or a EE, and MORE MORE MORE

Those one I have on order currently are:

Blue Orpington
Austrolorp
Blue Amerecauna
Blue laced red wyndotte
Buff Brahma
Welsummer

Although there are a lot of SS on here and its making me rethink the welsummer.

What breeds would you choose if you could only have 6 hens, and why?

I would have:

A Silkie
A large Cochin
An Olive Egger
An Ameracauna or Araucana
A Wellsummer
A Rhode Island Red

(I have 4 of those breeds and will likely add the Wellsummer and RIR when the opportunity arises.)
I think I’d sink into depression from not being able to have 20+ chickens. I couldn’t bear only to have 6, I’m too addicted to chicken breeds!!! Which is why I have too many chickens
But if I was forced, the choices would be
Silver Wyandotte
Buff Laced Polish
Australorp
Mille Fluer D’Uccles
Speckled Sussex
Blue laced Red Wyandotte ( always wanted one)
Wow that took a lot of painful decision making
Thank you for such an interesting topic!!!!!!

I would have..

An Australorp, An Orpington, A Silver spangled Hamburg, An Araucana, And maybe a Pekin. Although there are probably like 30+ more that I would want, Only six chickens would be torture

Back
Top Bottom