IF you could only have one laying hen...

I think people need to calm down. Just because they ask what breed you would have doesnt mean they just want one. This is for fun, not a "Lets show how much I can tell the newbie" contest.

Saying that, I think Naked Necks are the best birds, all around, 100%.

That's a tough question. I love the personality of my Polish Girls but my best layers are the Buff orps....so I guess I'd pick the Buffs for egg production.

I don't know if I could just pick one breed. I just love the Buff Orpingtons and Delaware's and RIR, and Barred Rocks and Dominique's and RedStar Sex links and Black Sex Links and Ameraucana's and... you get my meaning!!!!
tongue.png

Jean

Quote:
Thanks so much for this!!!! I'm new to this also and really couldn't begin to figure out which breed to get at all.

Looks like I'm looking for Barred Plymouth Rocks or Rhode Island Reds
smile.png

IF you could only have one laying hen...

Ah, the same old question. That's easy: Austrolorp​

Last edited by a moderator:
With *just* egg laying in mind, Rhode Island Reds are probably the best I have had in that department. However, I did not like their temperments and they were unpleasant to my other birds so I sold them eventually.
Buff Orpington or Americaunas have been nice egg layers and very friendly personalities from my experiences.

All in all, I would have to say the Orpingtons.

I am a newbie to chickens, too. And, it worries me that the poster's wording said: one chicken, for viewing pleasure. All too often people say: I want one! And they mean it. I have found education can and should be offered, often and even then, people don't take good advice.

Birds need to flock, be a part of a flock, be in a flock. Humans crave grouping, look at how many members are on this group alone. Dogs are "pack" animals and look how many are forced to live solitary lives with their surrogate pack humans gone much of the time.

A better question would be: What "breed" which has been asked before by many newbies...I don't think anyone, including myself is being too intellectual or uptight, we all enjoy our flock(s) so much we are looking forward to viewing pleasure, daily and would like to ward off any problems beforehand, such as having only one chicken.

Brings to mind, solitary confinement. A parakeet would do better as a solitary bird than a chicken.

I think of many things when deciding on a favorite flock. Housing to begin with, their health, happiness and welfare, their color, their being durable for our cold and long winters, their willingness to enjoy my company, their awesome eggs, how much it costs to heat and keep lights in their coops, the cost and setting up of runs that will protect them from predators, including my golden & weims.

Neighbors dogs are allowed to roam daily and nightly. Wild fox come thru here. How often I need to ship by air and not run out of feed.

I also have to say another woman in our town does have one chicken, in her house and its a part of a flock that includes an old toy poodle, a cat and a Springer Spaniel. The chicken has free run of the house with the other animals until bedtime. It works for them.

Back
Top Bottom