If you could only keep 3-5 chickens

Pics

410farmer

Chirping
Dec 10, 2019
I initially was going to get a ton of chickens untill my first go around I realized we don’t eat that many eggs. If you could choose 3-5 different chicken breeds to have which ones would you choose. I would prefer some colored eggs so I know I want one Maran. And maybe some that lay blue or green. I’ve had Easter eggers that lay teal eggs but that was one mean chicken lol

I got a couple starlight green layers. So far they are nice and lay pretty green eggs.....almost every day. Mine are still pullets.

The prairie blue bell lay a pale blue egg. Mine are not as productive as the green layers.

If you want pet type birds buff Orpington are nice.
And I can’t resist the buffs fluffiness. So cute:love:love:love. Here are my two. They are usually pecking the camera.

Attachments

• 46CE9DE9-4283-49D8-9C44-A5D8C480AE77.jpeg
    46CE9DE9-4283-49D8-9C44-A5D8C480AE77.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 31
  • 4806574B-4706-49D5-901B-009AD4AE02CB.jpeg
    4806574B-4706-49D5-901B-009AD4AE02CB.jpeg
    709.6 KB · Views: 29
  • 30EC78F8-F71E-41BC-BAF7-B90E551409CF.jpeg
    30EC78F8-F71E-41BC-BAF7-B90E551409CF.jpeg
    266.4 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
If you could choose 3-5 different chicken breeds to have which ones would you choose. I would prefer some colored eggs so I know I want one Maran. And maybe some that lay blue or green. I’ve had Easter eggers that lay teal eggs but that was one mean chicken lol

Hmm, I'd probably go for a Hamburg (gold or silver spangled, white eggs); one Easter Egger or Cream Legbar or other blue/green layer; a Welsummer (supposed to lay dark/speckled eggs), a Columbian patterned chicken (Light Sussex, Columbian Rock, Columbina Wyandotte, or Delware--any of them will lay brown eggs), and the Maran you mentioned.

But that's personal preference, based on what looks good to me, and what color eggs they lay. I like brown eggs, different shades and preferably with speckles, and a few other colors for variety. I also dislike feathered feet or poofy crests, although I'd consider a Spitzhauben instead of the Hamburg--they're about the same except for an upright crest that is not supposed to block their vision.

Here are my choices, based on friendliness and egg color/size. And all of these hens have gorgeous feathering, to boot.
  1. Black Copper Marans - docile, friendly, deep brown eggs. Can be broody, so if you always need that dark chocolate egg in your basket, get two.
  2. Crested Cream Legbar - sweet, not overly friendly, some may be labeled as flighty (mine are just not lap sitters), gorgeous blue eggs, non-broody.
  3. Olive Egger - (not a breed, but a cross), sweet, docile, deep gorgeous moss green eggs, possibly broody.
  4. Buff Orpington - friendliest and sweetest of all the chickens, total lap sitter, beautiful pinkish/light tan egg, can be broody.
  5. Wellsummer - sweet, docile, friendly, nice dark brown egg, non-broody.
  6. Silver Gray Dorking - just had to throw in a sixth, only because it helps to have a white egg to accent the beautiful colored eggs. Wonderful, sweet, docile, friendly, lap sitter, non-broody.

Here are my choices, based on friendliness and egg color/size. And all of these hens have gorgeous feathering, to boot.
  1. Black Copper Marans - docile, friendly, deep brown eggs. Can be broody, so if you always need that dark chocolate egg in your basket, get two.
  2. Crested Cream Legbar - sweet, not overly friendly, some may be labeled as flighty (mine are just not lap sitters), gorgeous blue eggs, non-broody.
  3. Olive Egger - (not a breed, but a cross), sweet, docile, deep gorgeous moss green eggs, possibly broody.
  4. Buff Orpington - friendliest and sweetest of all the chickens, total lap sitter, beautiful pinkish/light tan egg, can be broody.
  5. Wellsummer - sweet, docile, friendly, nice dark brown egg, non-broody.
  6. Silver Gray Dorking - just had to throw in a sixth, only because it helps to have a white egg to accent the beautiful colored eggs. Wonderful, sweet, docile, friendly, lap sitter, non-broody.
Saving this list!

Back
Top Bottom