If you cross buff to white.....

Mine came out white.

But it was a Columbian coloration (Light Brahma) to a Buff Orpington hen that resulted in a white bird with REALLY light Delaware markings.

White does not dilute the pigment. It turns off its expression, but depending on the specific white (there are two separate genes, each of which have several alleles) genes & alleles resulting from the cross, you might end up with chicks who are all white or all buff; the more likely scenario is that you'll end up with a bunch of genes that were hidden making their appearance known--and what those genes may be is completely unpredictable--about the equivalent of saying, if I breed my buff hen what colour will the chicks be (notice the lack of mention of a rooster).

If you want to dilute the buff, you need to add a gene that dilutes red pigment: lav, di, cb or ig.

Kryptoniteqhs.....is that chick now an adult?

One would not particularly expect some chicks to be buff & some to be white from a white X buff mating. It all depends upon what genes the parents carry.

Sonoran Silkies wrote:
lav, di, cb or ig.

Obviously I know what the first one is.... what are the other three?

Lavender, dilute, champaign blonde, & inhibitor of gold. lav & ig are recessive; Cb & Di are dominant (Di is incompletely dominant), so I should have capitalized their symbols. Lav also dilutes black pigment, and Di has some affect on black, but not as much as on red.​

Back
Top Bottom