If you had 20 acres....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BarredBuff, Jun 3, 2010.

1. BarredBuff

BarredBuff Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    If you had 20 acres and you wanted a dairy source. What would you choose a dairy goat or dairy cow?

2. babyblue

babyblue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    that would depend on my time involvement, money issues and amount of milk that is actually needed for my family. a cow needs more food, a larger area, stronger fences, and if something goes wrong and the animal dies its a much larger financial loss then a goat. not saying that I want something bad to happen to anybody’s animals. its just the truth, the bigger the animal the bigger the possible problems and expenses.

3. Ashmeade

Ashmeade Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Cows are a LOT messier as far as clean up, etc...

4. jspdesign

jspdesign Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2010
    I prefer cows but being a "one woman show" sometimes, I believe I would be more physically capable of dealing with goats. Not saying that I would always be strong enough for a tough goat either, but, given the size difference, I stand a better chance with a goat.

Jamie

5. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    I grew up with goats I miss them I was just as close to them as my dogs I had cousins that could not drink cows milk they kept goats too with barely any experience with cows just helped out at a small farm goats just seem so much easier.

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I'd keep a pair of goats for milk, largely because with a dairy cow, I have no idea what I would do with 5 gallons a milk a day.

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Get a miniature cow! Only like a gallon of milk per day!! [​IMG]

I want to get a mini Jersey or a mini Brown Swiss.

8. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I would get a cow, love the idea of a mini cow, brown swiss are so pretty. [​IMG]
    never had goat milk and that is fine with me. LOL

9. momofthree

momofthree Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2010
    Skiatook, OK
    i only have 10 acres and next year we plan on getting a couple of Dexter's, they give great milk and taste great as a beef cattle.

10. Rin

Rin Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2009
    Moonglade (EU)
    I'd get a goat for sure [​IMG] <3 I find them easier to take care of. Only on two acres now and just want one lil nig dwarfie girl <3

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by