If you had lots and lots of space and money to work with...

candylandfarm

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Greenwood, SC
What would you do for your chickens? We are just starting out on our farm, have 108 acres and (thanks to my husband) money to spend on our new venture. Nothing totally crazy, but if you could design your dream chicken area, what would it be? How big? What would it contain? We are in the process of looking at chicken coops, fencing, etc. As much as I love my husband, he's not as handy as he thinks he is and I think we need to buy a coop or have one built. Right now we have 108 cleared acres with three big ponds. No barn or house yet. It's just waiting for us to put the chickens somewhere. I've come to realize that the people here are passionate and knowledgeable about their chickens, so if not you, who? We have 16 chicks coming in a few weeks (silkies, araucaunas, marans, Easter Eggers) but I have a feeling after spending some time on this site, I will be getting more. There was a singlewide trailer on the farm that is now moved and we plan to do a have a barn there since there is electric, septic, well. It's a nice, flat area (our property has LOTS of rolling hills) by the fenced pastures and I think it's a great place for the chickens. Our house is going on the next knoll which has the best views of the whole property.

Since we have never had chickens (or any animal beyond cats and dogs), help me visualize a great chicken area.

Thanks so much! I can't wait to start on my chickens and my plants!

Susanne

I would ave made the single wide into a coop...
hide.gif

ETA: Thats what I am doing with the pop up trailor!

Last edited:
I'd build a walk-in coop with egg collection from inside and out. The roosts would be made from actual tree limbs with a dropping board underneath for easy cleaning. Lots of windows, normal size door great ventilation. A large enclosed pen in case you don't want them to free range or have a predator problem.

I love my current coop but it's not a walk-in for me...just the girls
smile.png

Oh a chicken MANSION!!! I'd build a big 20x50 barn JUST for all my Delaware's and I would invest in good stock and start an excellent breeding program. I'd have a mini fridge for medications. Another mini for egg storage. I'd have a sectioned off stall for storage of bedding, a smaller one for feed, a small greenhouse attached for fresh greens for them. Oh, and duh, a few cabinet incubators
big_smile.png
to hatch all the precious sweet fuzzy butts....ok let's be honest here...I'd be out of control, maybe I'm not the best person to advise
lau.gif

I would start a CSA and farm the land so I could sell eggs, chickens and fresh vegetables to the members. Here where I live in Pa. a membership is 750.00 for a season. They also charge $25.00 for a family "visit" to the farm...about a hour and half interactive tour. So, put your land to work for you.
That is what I would do....

Off to research this CSA thing... I've always been an entrepreneur, just not in farming or animals!

A chicken Mansion... sounds lovely but my husband would NEVER go for that! All he wants to do is plant corn.
sad.png

Susanne

Back
Top Bottom