if you have 2 roos, will they both crow?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by LaSombra, Sep 12, 2009.

1. LaSombra

LaSombra Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    Washington
    my elder roo is about 4 months old now, but he's been crowing since he was less than 2 months old. I have a younger roo that's over 3 months now, but I've never heard him crow. Will he just not crow since he's the subordinate rooster or is he just slower to mature? ...or does it just depend on the personalities of the roosters/flock?

thanks
    Jen

2. Year of the Rooster

Year of the Rooster Sebright Savvy

Jun 27, 2008
    West Central Ohio
    I think it depends on the rooster.

I have two roos also, and only 1 crows. The other does not since he is the subordinate one. When my Sebright (the subordinate one) was dominant (before took him to the county fair then in quarantine when he got home) he would crow all the time, along with the Silkie rooster (the dominant rooster now).

So, I guess it all depends on the rooster.

3. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    Probably all of those. He'll crow, eventually. [​IMG]

4. justmeandtheflock

justmeandtheflock Overrun with ducklings :)

May 27, 2009
    NW NJ
    I have 2 12 week old boys that both started crowing between 7 & 8 weeks old. The head boy crows alot more and alot louder than the other.

5. ella

ella Chillin' With My Peeps

I have eight roosters ranging in age from 2 to 5 years old, they all crow, loudly and often. [​IMG]

6. JewellFarm

JewellFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Lebanon, Virginia
    What the last person said, both will likely crow loudly and often, lol. All of mine do! [​IMG]

7. Big C

Big C J & C Farms

Dec 15, 2008
    Vernon Texas
    Yes,
    eventually...

8. mulia24

mulia24 Chillin' With My Peeps

yes, they will. [​IMG]

9. BarkerChickens

BarkerChickens Microbrewing Chickenologist

Nov 25, 2007
    High Desert, CA
    Yea, probably. My JG roo didn't start crowing until he was 6 mos old. We have 4 roos (possibly 3 as of tomorrow morning...ones a bit rough with the girls [​IMG] ) and all crow. However, the two top roos crow much more than the two omega roos.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    When I had two roos, only the alpha crowed. The sub. only crowed when he thought the alpha was far enough away that he could get away with it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by