If you have owned sex links I want your opinion

Hambone

Songster
10 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Union, KY
I know that there are many reasons and or circumstances that cause chickens to peck each other. I have read numerous articles and searched the internet for hours to find a reason why they do it. That being said I have a question. I have not found any info that supports this but I was just thinking....Do you think that a sex link is more prone to pecking b/c they are more of a commercial breed (layer)??

Last edited:
I've only owned chickens for about 6 months so I'm still a rank amateur, but I have five red sex link hens and they don't peck each other at all except when they get in a tiff over a treat.

I got 3 red sex link and 3 that turned out to be white leg horn type hens.All the white ones pecked the sex link ones constantly.I got rid of the white ones and VERY rarely do I catch a sex link pecking.

I've got sex links & lots of other breeds, I don't find that they peck more than others.

I have 2 red sex link hens in a mixed laying flock. None of my hens peck each other's feathers. I think they tend to do that because they are overcrowded. Mine aren't, so I haven't had a problem with that.

Sex links probably get a bad rap because they are such good layers. So people pack them together to get more and more eggs from a limited space.

My two girls are very nice. One is totally shy and likes to sleep all by herself. The other is the smartest chicken I have. She's very outgoing, one of our favorites.

Give them enougb room to live a good life, and good nutrition, and you shouldn't have a problem.

I have four different breeds, only one of which is a sex linked breed. My sex linked chickens are very sweet and smart.

My chickens have lots of room, but sometimes they do peck each other, mostly over who gets first go at a treat or a particularly good patch of grass. The girls in the flock that do all the bullying are not my sex linked chickens, though.

I have two red sex links,and two white, and I have also noticed that the white ones seem to be meaner. I haven't noticed them pecking at each other, only me and the kids. The red sexlinks are so much nicer. Guess it's not just me. No more white sexlinks.

I ordered 4 Buckeye chick because they are supposed to be very sweet dual purpose birds. hope so:fl

5 sex-links here. While they are great layers, they are a bit hyper. I will not replace with more when they are gone. I enjoy my Barred Rocks much more and are also great layers. Yes, my sex-links peck, even ME! I have the Red/White.

rocmoc n AZ

Back
Top Bottom