If you let your chickens out of the pen, will they come back?

Quote:
Mine have done that too. I have learned to count heads every night to make sure everyone is in before I close the gate.

Jen

My chickens also free range from dusk to dawn. They are always up on their roost at night when I go to shut them in for the night. I can sometimes call them and they all come running to see me. Its quite funny when others watch it.

I have no idea what your yard is like, flower gardens, patio's, veggie garden, fencing etc., but if you decide to free range your birds be prepared.
It is true they will eat bugs, and once they discover worms, they will go after them with relish as well. But in their quest for these treats, they will begin digging up your flower and veggie garden. They love greens, so be prepared for any veggies getting pecked at as well. Sometimes they will congregate in places such as a patio, and leave nice little piles of poop for you to deal with. Patio chairs and tables can become popular stop off roosts, and may also require frequent cleaning.

You should have a fenced property, or you can expect them to wander into the neighbors after they get brave enough to explore. The fence will also deter neighborhood dogs from "playing" with your birds. If the yard is a large open one, birds of prey may also decide to visit, as the hens will be easy to spot from above.

In addition to my entire property being fenced, I also fenced off sections of my yard, which cost some money, and took some work, but it was worth it. My gardens are not destroyed, the patio remains clean. The area they can roam have large several trees (not so easily spotted from above), and dogs can't access them.

So my advice is, before letting the birds roam free, prepare things first.
smile.png

Quote:
Funny! I holler 'chook,chook,chook,chook... & they will come running.

My girls will put themselves up if I dont come out early enough in the evening for them. They are ready for bed even if I'm not.
wink.png

Quote:
I agree with Paddock!!
I let mine run outside of the run when I am outside during the day, like when I am cleaning out the coop.
I have found though the easiest time to let out is before night roosting. I let them out about 1 hr before roosting time...they go out, run around and then head back to the coop all on their own! Much easier than when I let them out during the day and end up having to corrall them all back to the run.

Quote:
yes mine come running when they here the back door slam. they know where the food comes from. they are smarter than you think. mine will follow friends when they come over because they think any human will feed them. mine totally free range i never built a run.

We let our flock free range when home and they always put themselves up when it is time to roost. No treats necessary, ofcourse, they would like treats if available. (they are like feathered piggies).

yuckyuck.gif
but so true! Mine are the same way. They always put themselves up for the night weather we go out or not. If I want to put them up early that may require treats especially if they have found a nice patch of bugs.
smile.png

I have only had one girl go missing on me one night. I was convinced something had got her and after about a hour of searching, there she was in a tree. She was a very good flying little Golden Campine.​

Everyone is telling me to let my chickens out so they can eat bugs out of the yard during the day. When you are ready to put them up, go to the feed barrel and get a scoop of scratch and they will come running. It this true?
Yes they will they will return to there coop for the night if you are going to let them free run preader will kill them you need to watch them and be sure to Predator proof them so they can't get in there coop at night or they will be killed your there protected to keeping them alive

Yes they will they will return to there coop for the night if you are going to let them free run preader will kill them you need to watch them and be sure to Predator proof them so they can't get in there coop at night or they will be killed your there protected to keeping them alive
This thread is from 2011, you aren't likely to receive a response from the op. ;]

Back
Top Bottom