If you sell eggs are the hens paying for themselves?

I also have 10 hens and average about 8 eggs a day. The thing is we eat a lot of eggs. Quiche, egg flower soup, baking etc.
I probably only sell 2 or 3 dozen a week at $3 with carton exchange, $3.50 without. I also don't sort for size though most of the big ones go to sales. If I sold more they would pay their keep but wouldn't cover my labor which is a lot because I also raise for meat. I have some young ones that will probably add 8 or 10 birds to my layer flock. Raising for meat definitely doesn't pay because of the economy of scale. I can buy organic pastured chicken at Whole Foods cheaper than I can raise them for. But I KNOW how mine were raised.
But like Fred's Hens says, the other benefits balance things out. I'm an 'almost' organic gardener, so between the fertilizer, insect control, never having to buy eggs it works for me. I find I'm now finally producing enough compost for my needs.
I started raising bees this year for a similar reason. Pollenation of my fruits and vegetables, then the honey and wax is a side benefit.

Unless you're overcharging your customers, completely or mostly free ranging your chickens on a diverse land, and/or feeding them VERY cheap feed - Not really. If anything you'll break even, but in most cases you don't make anything off of it, and a lot of people in fact lose money in the long run. Course, most people keep their chickens in dirt or gravel covered runs, too.
wink.png

No way. Mine are an expensive luxury. I do sell some eggs which brings a discount on their food & bedding at the store where I sell the occasional dozen. I feel like I have a play house or tree house and it is full of interesting pets. They sit on my lap, entertain me, and lay eggs. That is worth the expense, a luxury I really enjoy.

I definitely do not make money.I find they are a good barter item though...if you do this for me,I'll keep you in eggs,etc..Mine cost me roughly 120.oo a month to keep and thats not including the price we paid to build the coop...electricity for heat,etc.I just have them because I love them,my family gets nice,healthy fresh eggs and we have backyard entertainment.Oh,and "watch" roosters who announce company or let me know the mail is here
wink.png

After my start up costs, Coop, feeders, bedding, feed, etc.etc. I figure I might break even in about a year. HA

Nope. I was hoping to be able to at least pay for their feed, but I only charge $2 a doz and I eat a lot myself. I just enjoy their antics and feel good knowing that I know where my eggs come from.

I don't think so. I only charge $2.00/dozen. I didn't enter this tough for a profit, just hobby something I like to do. I enjoy getting out and worki9ng with the chickens it helps to relax me, though sometime when I get frustrated with my son or son-in-law, because they don't always look after the chickens right, at least my way. Woking to get on days at my job so I can spend a little more time with the family and my grandsons and my chickens.

I estimate that a laying chicken will eat close to 0.4 pounds per day of feed. At $0.20 per pound for feed, that eggs costs $0.08 to produce. Therefore, a dozen eggs will cost at a minimum $0.96 in feed alone. Add about $0.25 per egg carton on top of that (illegal to reuse another brand's egg cartons) and brings it to about $1.20 per dozen in feed and egg carton costs alone.

If they are in molt, they won't be producing, but you still have to feed them. You also have to costs of the chick and the feed costs for the first six months to expense against their production. Then, if you sell at a farmer's market. don't forget to calculate the $0.45 per mile transportation expense for your product.

I suspect you are not making money. This is a very marginal business.

I've only had chickens for a few weeks, and don't even expect an egg for a couple of months, so I definitely haven't made a profit. But, I made a pretty convincing argument to my DH yesterday that if I get a LOT more chickens and he builds me a few more coops, it will probably pay for itself. (I learned chicken math really quick.) He said "Whatever," which means "Sure, I'll build your coops," right?

Back
Top Bottom