If you use a dog dish as a waterer...

Chicks Galore3

Artistic Bird Nut
8 Years
Dec 16, 2011
Iowa
...Make sure it is always full and balanced! I have a one-gallon heating dog dish up on cinder block for my chickens' waterer. Last night I had noticed when I put my chickens in that it was low but figured it would last them until morning. Later, I remembered that I hadn't gathered eggs and after debating whether it was worth going out or not, I finally did. I am so glad I did! I noticed the waterer was flipped over, from a chicken perching on the side to get a drink, no doubt. My chickens love to do that. Imagine my surprised when I picked up the dish and found my poor little bantam D'uccle trapped beneath it! He wasn't hurt, thankfully, and wasn't even that wet. I dried him off and had a little cuddle time with him (We have a special, growing relationship that is a story in and of itself.) Moral of the story - make sure the water dish can't tip! It could have been dangerous if it was hot out - Periwinkle could have suffocated or gotten cooked. (No pun intended).

Folly's place

Enabler
10 Years
Sep 13, 2011
southern Michigan
Small birds can also jump into the dish, get soaked, or die if they can't hop right out. I use the heated dog dish that's set up to not tip over only if there are no young small birds there. I have lost bantams that were trapped under things; it's a sad story and a big guilt trip... Mary

Top Bottom