If you want broodies I suggest

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by turnerstar31, Mar 30, 2008.

1. turnerstar31

turnerstar31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    that you get some cochins. I have two that started to go broody today. The one always goes broody on a dime and now one of her daughters has also started. Now I have to figure out where to move them since they are not in the greatest place. At least I will hopefully get some little ones in a few weeks [​IMG]

2. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    No thanks, my silkies do a real good job at it!! [​IMG]

3. turnerstar31

Jul 18, 2007
    not a big fan of the silkies but I heard they are also good broodies too

4. happyhens

happyhens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    KY
    Well, I think I have the bases covered this time. I got tired of waiting for my Buff Orps to go broody, so I ordered 2 assorted silkie chicks, 4 asst. bantam cochin chicks, and 4 asst. OEGB chicks along with my layer chicks, coming my way in 16 more days [​IMG]. I can't wait to see what colors I get in all those assortments! And hopefully in a year or so I'll have some good, reliable broody hens. I am so excited!
    P.S. I love my Buff Orps, they have been great layers so far, but I was hoping that I'd get a broody hen or 2 out of the bunch. That is looking highly unlikely right now.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2008
  5. turnerstar31

Jul 18, 2007
    OEGBs are also good broodies my one that we lost this winter always had a clutch or two during the summers. They also make great mothers.

6. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    All 4 of my frizzle are broody and my only silkie hen of laying age is broody. I have 5 total and I don't want them to be broody. They are not listening to me at all. lol

7. turnerstar31

Jul 18, 2007
    Quote:Hahaha ya I am still at odds if I should let them sit or not. It is still kind of cold but I can always put them in our cellar in my big dog cages.

8. lightbread48

lightbread48 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2008
    Thomasville Ga
    anybody have any real suggestions on how to make a hen go broody? I have this hen that was trying to sleep in the nest for 3 nites in a row. She was still laying and I wanted her to continue, so I ran her out everynite. Now I have some eggs that were given to me and I want her to sit them, but she isnt showing any signs of wanting to sit any eggs. Plus she has laid like 1 egg in 4 or 5 days. What should I do?

9. sbwhite0

sbwhite0 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Terre Haute,IN
    I'm not sure if there is any truth to it, but I've heard that turkens are broody.

10. chickflick

chickflick Overrun With Chickens

Mar 10, 2007
    Dimondale
    You can not "make" a hen go broody. It's hormonol.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by