If you want broodies I suggest

turnerstar31

Songster
12 Years
Jul 18, 2007
that you get some cochins. I have two that started to go broody today. The one always goes broody on a dime and now one of her daughters has also started. Now I have to figure out where to move them since they are not in the greatest place. At least I will hopefully get some little ones in a few weeks
big_smile.png

Well, I think I have the bases covered this time. I got tired of waiting for my Buff Orps to go broody, so I ordered 2 assorted silkie chicks, 4 asst. bantam cochin chicks, and 4 asst. OEGB chicks along with my layer chicks, coming my way in 16 more days
big_smile.png
. I can't wait to see what colors I get in all those assortments! And hopefully in a year or so I'll have some good, reliable broody hens. I am so excited!
P.S. I love my Buff Orps, they have been great layers so far, but I was hoping that I'd get a broody hen or 2 out of the bunch. That is looking highly unlikely right now.

Last edited:
OEGBs are also good broodies my one that we lost this winter always had a clutch or two during the summers. They also make great mothers.

All 4 of my frizzle are broody and my only silkie hen of laying age is broody. I have 5 total and I don't want them to be broody. They are not listening to me at all. lol

Quote:
Hahaha ya I am still at odds if I should let them sit or not. It is still kind of cold but I can always put them in our cellar in my big dog cages.

anybody have any real suggestions on how to make a hen go broody? I have this hen that was trying to sleep in the nest for 3 nites in a row. She was still laying and I wanted her to continue, so I ran her out everynite. Now I have some eggs that were given to me and I want her to sit them, but she isnt showing any signs of wanting to sit any eggs. Plus she has laid like 1 egg in 4 or 5 days. What should I do?

Back
Top Bottom