If you were told you could only raise ONE breed, what would it be?

Well, for myself, I would choose Delawares - they are meatier for if I wanted to butcher the extra babies.

If just for eggs - then I would go with Black Australorps - they are funny and pretty, good layers, excellent personality.

meri

Light Brahmas. Hands down. But that's only if they're available in my area! haha! Good quality Light Brahmas are SO hard to find around here.

Ok this is a little to much like Sophie's Choice
sad.png
. I guess if I had to choose it would be Orpingtons, but I would never to be able to give up my mixed flock so good thing this isn't for real.
big_smile.png

Welll.......

If you really want to know what one breed I'd raise, it would probably be bantam araucanas. But you asked "based on temperment, apperance, and egg laying", which is a different question.

For temperament, appearance, AND egg laying, I'd probably go with Welsummers. My only Wellie hen that is old enough to lay is giving me gorgeous eggs nearly every day, in the depths of winter. Not a huggy bird, but she thinks I'm her man (I'm not even a guy!) and loves to be stroked.
wink.png

I might go with Sussex, but mine haven't started laying yet so I can't say about egg-laying abilities. I do love their personalities -- curious and funny.

If you like bantams, bantam araucanas and ameraucanas lay the largest bantam eggs I've seen so far -- AND they're a lovely blue. I'm a sucker for colored eggs!

If I could only have one breed it would have to be a good layer.

And this is the premier...
Hy-Line Silver Brown

Prolific Producer, Medium sized eggs, Rich Brown Eggs, Heavier mature body weight

Hy-Line Silver Brown is the world's most prolific egg layer. She produces over 330 rich brown eggs to 74 weeks, peaks in the high-90's and begins lay early with medium egg size. These traits combined with a heavier mature layer weight, excellent livability and a robust adaptable temperament; give the Hy-Line Silver Brown the perfect balance.
http://www.hy-line.com/aspx/products/products.aspx?navid=3

Back
Top Bottom