If your birds's cross the fence???

Like if your birds jumped the fence? Or flew out? If so just clip the third section of the wing and they won't be able to anymore :) hope I can help!

welcome-byc.gif
from West Virginia! I have cover over my pen. Right now it's chicken wire but it has kept the hawks out so far. I am going to replace it as soon as I can as it is really heavy and it's trying to pull my supports on the side inward into the pen. The sides of my pen are 10 feet tall. My chickens have yet to get out. Explore the site some more, especially check out the Coop and Run: design and maintenance section as well as the Managing your Flock and Chicken behaviors sections. They may have some info for you. Also, clipping their wings like bubbalou suggested will work. Good luck!!

Welcome to the coop!!
yippiechickie.gif

welcome-byc.gif
I'm not sure I understand the problem. Are your hens straying on to the neighbors property or are their hens coming into your yard?

Thanks babbalou, my chickens and gunies free range and go back to coop/house with no problem (coop has automatic door)
onedoodle3, instead of chicken wire on top, try 1in netting, cheaper and weighs less, I get mine from FarmTek, beware of squirrels, and don't put any roost near the top as an owl can push it down and kill the bird.

More info. My peafowl have started to roam... Me, and two neighbors, and one of them is the oldest continuous ran/run hunting club in TX. My pefowl like people, and if I'm not around, they go to people. They have no fear of??? I have cows, chickens, guineas, free ranging ('with fence for cows). Peafowl first went over there approx 5 days ago,( first time). Then two days ago, but always came home to roost. Tonight, they stayed at the hunting club, in the biggest tree in miles. Manager of Hunting Club, (previous exotic bird importer) likes them. MEMBERS??? Manager and I are freinds, however he knows if guide or members dogs come to my property and attack chickens, guineas, cattle, or pens with exotic pheasant and ducks??? I let him know that if I could not keep my peafowl under control (on my property), they are free game!!! I can pen them up, but around us we have a bay, and a thousand acres with no one. My peafowl have no fear and love to be around people. I can pen them with the pheasant and ducks, ( goldens, amhearst, reaves, silver, falcated, mandarin wood, etc...). That would kill me and the peafowl. If it were me and the hunting club manager, no problem. Members bitching because they don't know or understand, ,, PROBLEM.

Greetings from Kansas, whatnext, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Pleased to have you with us! Sounds like you have a tough situation. Those are some pretty high dollar birds to lose. Anyway you can fence off your property?

Already have fence for cattle. Fence to keep peafowl in..... That would be 20 foot high times how many miles.... Not realistic... I will talk to neighbor and let him know if they become an issue I will relocate them to a new home. That's sad because they follow me and when I stop to work on something or sit down they lay down and watch, they eat out of my hand, etc... A real pleasure to have them around. They constantly fight the guineas, but if something gets after the chickens, guineas and peacocks are there to defend.

Thanks for the welcome, redsoxs and Mr MKK FARMS. Update, five days since my peafowl abandoned me, went to the rich side of town, more food, greener grass, BIGGER TREE, better beer, etc. Went into big depression, possible suicidal, ----- wrong. Let neighbor know if peafowl became an issue??? Night 1 & 2, peafowl in big cotton wood tree at private club, no members, no problem, night 3, member bitched (too loud at night), problem, DAY four, manager, cook, and I dicsussed recipes, night four, manager/friend put his grand kids and member kids on peafowl patrol, peafow slept ??? DAY five, kids on patrol. Night five, my peafowl are roosting at home, ---dirty darn peafowl. The peafowl would come and go during the day to get fed and harass the guineas and will probably continue to range. However, I appreciate the understanding and helpfulness of my neighbor and the skill of his grand kids (peafowl pests).
The neighbor/hunting club/guides know I have taken losses to penned pheasants and free range chickens and had my cross hairs on there dogs... We have worked it out, and over time (my fowl loss) have few issues. Other dogs/preditors, no comment.

Back
Top Bottom