Igloo doghouse coop

suzyq53511

Drowning in Chickens!
9 Years
Apr 30, 2010
Beloit
I just got a free xxxl igloo dog house free from my neighbors and I was wondering how can I turn this into a coop? I can't find much info on it!

Well, it won't house very many birds is probably why not very many people have used them for their main coop. Some use them for breeding pens and several use smaller doghouses as nest boxes though
wink.png

How many chickens are you trying to house??

Measure the floor space out so you can tell us how many square feet it has and we'll be able to give you a better idea. I have an xl one (our lab won't use it) that I use inside a 7x13 run for a very roomy broody/grow out pen.

If you're going to use it for an actuall coop you will have to cut into it (or something) to attach a roost as well as put a door on it. Since mine sits in a dog run with chicken wire running around it and an apron AND is covered I've not worried about making it predator proof. Actually now that I think about it more I doubt if it will make a good coop for even a few chickens unless you can figure out how to vent it and use plexi for the door to provide some light. They're great for a temp. shelter or broody though so even if you can't eventually turn it into a coop it was still a great score.

Put a piece of wood towards the back about 10 inches from it. this will be the nest box. then cut a door in the back to use to gather eggs. then just make a small run for them

I already have 2 small coops and 2 small runs and I would like to interconnect everything.. i was wondering how to do that too. i cant find many pics..

something like this would be handy dandy for chicks
I picked up this "large" dog house for $2 and installed a light socket in the roof

25851_614952513621_55007926_34762946_6918004_n.jpg

It's hard to clean out since it's difficult to remove the roof portion. If I built it again I would make a few adjustments in that regard.

I also raise chicks in this, I guess you could use the doghouse for the covered portion

IMG00042-20091118-1417.jpg

inside
SANY0848.JPG

The doghouse that I use for chickens will house 4 adult birds, (although I squeezed 5 in there in 2009 the roo didn't have room to roost)
It's waaaaaay different than an igloo though. Half of the roof hinges up for cleaning/access/egg collecting.
25561_612894467961_55007926_34692351_4383097_n.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom