IKEA fodder hack :)

MiaS

Songster
Mar 28, 2019
DeWinton, Alberta
My Coop
My Coop
So far this fall I've been doing some sprouting as well as a bit of fermented feed, which naturally led to thinking about growing fodder since green foods will be scarce here in Alberta for the winter months. Though I can definitely have an 'all in' approach to something I'm not sure a full blown fodder tower is really in the cards for me - especially after reading this article which gave me some food for thought ('scuze the pun).

https://alifeofheritage.com/farm-living/fodder/

However, on a recent trip to IKEA for something unrelated I found this in-sink strainer for $7 and immediately thought it could be a great way to turn some of my sprouting into fodder - a little tip-toe into it.

IMG_5219.jpeg

It's a one off, not a full blown grow op, but so far I'm liking it. I just soak my seeds, turn them out into the strainer, and set it over the sink to drain. It only takes a few days, I can break out a small chunk each day for a few days in a row and I'm not committed to huge quantities, or to managing a full on 'system'. Rinsing seeds each day is as simple as turning on the tap.

For me the one drawback to this setup may be that it is in full sight in my kitchen. I could take it down to the laundry room, but I'm pretty sure I'd forget about it down there so my drawback may be a benefit. Because I'm not intending to do it on a constant rotation I think it will be just fine. I'll grow out seeds on the days that I feel like seeing it, and stop when I don't want to. No constant rotation required.

Having said that I think these strainers could also work pretty well for someone wanting to build a tower as well, no drilling of plastic bins required. Just build a framework and drop these in. Voila!

Got a question to ask all my friends that raise chickens. Have any of you heard of or tried Buckeye Nutrition Big 4 and Buckeye Nutrition Gold Standard. I found them at a small family feed store and after reading the ingredients and feeding directions (mix with grains) I decided to give it a try.

The blend is as follows that I feed:
For the ducks and full grown chickens
13% of the Big 4 (20% protein)
33% grains (10% protein)
53%Gold Standard (20% protein)
1% dried alfalfa pellets (17% protein)

For the Quail and chicks
53% Big 4 (20% protein)
13% Gold Standard (20% protein)
34% grain. (10% protein)

Since I’m doing a mix of grains I don’t toss out scratch except on weekends.

Grains are
Oats, wheat, barley, cracked corn and scratch grain blend.

It has been a month now and it seems they are eating less but laying more regularly. Initially it cost a little more to get the feed grain. Before I was going through almost 4 bags of feed per month and it dropped to less than 2.
D95D8584-8C58-4D0F-8341-E85AAAEF2918.jpeg

Thanks for posting that article, @MiaS ! I was considering a fodder system... now I’m not. :lau See how easily swayed I am? You saved me a lot of trouble. I’m gonna do like you and just grow a bit in repurposed packaging when I feel like it, for the fun of giving it to the birdies. As for my poor summer-deprived cows, I think they probably like Apple-n-Oats “cookies” better anyhow.

Back
Top Bottom