IL chicks

schmism

Songster
12 Years
Feb 16, 2007
Peoria IL
New to the boards, although ive been lurking and doing my reserch.

Last Aug we purchested some acerage out in the country with a little old farmhouse etc etc... (long story)

Within a few months we will finnally be living on it and im set on getting me some chickens! (mmmmm fresh eggs)

so reserch tells me a number of things.
1) normal day old birds are shipped in large batches (25 ish)
2) only a handfull of places offer something less
3) the local feed store could be a place to pick up 1 or 2 and or sell leftovers of a batch of 25...

But then again Im in Rural IL. Having chickens isnt a new idea (if you catch my drift)

To the point

Id like to get only a hand full 3-6 chickens for now. I want (and have the space for) large layers, Reds (RI, shaver, NH) and orpingtons. No roo at this time (neighbor has one)

What do you think my best options are? I would think i could find some local and love craigslist but the country bumpkins around these parts arnt exactly the most internet savy. Feed store might work, but to be honest could tell you were one is locally.

I see all you guys raising lots and lots of chicks thinking boy if i could just have a couple!
wink.png

I wonldnt mind putting an order in for 25 but would need to split them with SOMEONE and tracking those people down seem to be no easyer than finding the chicks on the front end....
hmm.png
(see my delema)

Id like for them to be free range but my labs might like them a bit to much for that
big_smile.png

Welcome to BYC !

Post a request in the Buy & Sell section here. Someone may want to split and order with you or may have chicks close by.

You could also check around to find the closest feed store and ask if they have chicks or is going to order any. If they are ordering, you may be able to include your order in with theirs. That was how I got started since it was so hard to decide what breed to get. I liked too many !

Good luck !

You can train your labs to think your chickens are part of the family---both mine are protectors of the flock (just today, my neighbor told me some stray dogs were trying to get into my yard after my ducks).

When you get your chickens- allow them to see (under your control of course) the brooder etc. IF possible brood them at least in the beginning in your house in an enclosure the dogs can't get into--and they'll get used to them. If you get adult chickens...tie your dogs to yourself and take them with you on your "chicken chores". Quick reprimands for any chasing will usually do the trick. There's always a risk, but consistent training and reinforcement can be great and then they help PROTECT your flock.

Good luck
Sandra

from my reading it seems that yes i could train them....

they are already TOUCH certified (we take them to visit nursing homes ect) so they more trained than the avg (nonhunting) lab

Currently all they will do is lick ya to death. We have trained them not to bark etc so it will be intresting to see how they take to "protecting" there new teritory as its out in the open (we are surrounded mostly by tilled feilds). They do have a radio fence installed, but that encompasses nearly 2 of our ~5 acers...

I have an 8 month old black lab and so far she has not show a great intrest in the chickens so far. We will see when they get older and get out of the brooder. I love labs:D

I have two labs both I have used for bird hunting one is 14 the other 4; they don’t have a problem with my chickens occasionally they get hyper and make the chickens take wing suddenly. I locked the hen house the other night and left one of them outside she ended up sleeping in the dog’s house and in the morning was with my dogs at the patio dog wanting to be fed, the other chickens weren’t happy about this they wanted outside.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom