i'll ask again

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Keene's coop, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Keene's coop

Keene's coop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2010
    neenah, wisconsin
    since no one replied to my question before. my duckling is 4 days old today. is it alright to leave his/her pool in with him/her over night. or should i take it out at night. all it is is the bottom part of a plant pot. the part that collects the extra water. it only holds about 2 1/2 to 3 inches of water. the duckling can easily get in and out without help. i do keep it in with him/her all day long.

2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    no do not leave your 4 day old duckling in the water, alone. not a good idea

3. equine chick

equine chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    pennsylvania
    agreed.

4. BarefootMom

BarefootMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Half Way, Missouri
    depends on the weather and how well the duckling does with it. I have had a duckling drown in about 4 inches of water, so I would be careful. It is up to you, I wouldn't because of the mess factor but what ever you wish to do.

If this duckling all alone? No ducly buddies? awww

5. deeps

deeps Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I know I've had chickens that were dumb enough to drown themselves at a few days old...
    I've never had that problem with ducks, but since the chickens I've always put marbles or something in the water for the first week or two so that they cant go under water at all

6. DuckLover2399

DuckLover2399 Avian American

Jun 7, 2011
    Oklahoma
    I wouldnt my duckie drown because i thought it would be ok. [​IMG]

7. BallardDuck

BallardDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Ballard in Seattle
    From what I'va gathered is that the bigger threat is they will get themselves too chilled. I think mine would never get out of the water, given thier druthers!

8. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I wouldn't leave anything that holds enough water that they can get soaked in. They can get chilled and drown pretty easily. Drinking water is fine, but they don't really need swimming water. If you want to let them swim while supervised, that's OK.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by