1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I'll be having a broody hatch some eggs soon and I don't like ants...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Moochie, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Moochie

Moochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2010
    North Edwards
    I'm really afraid of ants. I treated the area where I moved her with sevin dust because the spot she chose, well I saw a line of fire ants go in the coop and I was freaking out. She lost 2 eggs, they broke from other hens wanting to use her spot as an egg laying spot. The hustle and tustle must have broken the eggs. There weren't any ants under her but I moved her anyways.
    It's day 11 (day 21 will be Oct 1st yay) and I'm really fearing ants killing the chicks as they're pipping under her. Ants can smell that sorta stuff and the scouts will be at the scene then the whole dang colony. It's only 4 eggs so I'm kind of already stressing about getting any girls this time (last time out of 5 chicks 5 roos) and I don't want anything happening to them or Mama.
    I've read that DE works (food grade) but I don't want to use it unless it's my best chance. Plus it's expensive at the feedstore for a 25 pound bag of it, I asked about it before, forgot what the girl said but I immediately said "woop i think i'll stick to sevin dust" so it must have been expensive.. Anyways-
    I want to put the ant-go-away stuff a day or two before pipping days start. So it needs to be safe for the chickens!
    DE yes?
    Any other ideas?

Oh yeah I know this doesn't seem to be in the right section.. Mods move it if it is. But they'll be born soon and even afterwards I'll be keeping my eyes on ants. I'll have to remove the egg shells fast from Mama. Hmm.

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Moochie,

For me, DE is the best choice. It is organic. Perhaps if you could go to a garden store, you could get a smaller quantity. There is a brand name called 'soil mender crawling insect killer for indoor & outdoor use' It is a 7-oz container with the EZ duster. I got mine at a garden store (the duster is re-fillable) The large sacks 25 pounds etc. are cheaper per pound/oz--- but since there is more, it is more out of pocket.

If you know anyone near you maybe they would give you some. (I would give you some if you were near me)----- it is safe for your chicks and for the hen. You could put it around the area far away. It needs to remain dry or it will loose its effectiveness.

Good luck with your hatch---wishing you lots of females this time!

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by