Ill Chicken..Help Wanted!!! FINAL UPDATE :(

Oh the poor thing, she looks miserable, with her tail down and pale face. I expect she's anaemic from all the bloodsucking.

Get that Ivomectin for her right away! She's not looking good at all.
sad.png

You are in the UK so you can go to the petstore and get the ivermectin "spot-on" (applied topically) ivermectine anti-parasite (i.e. worms and mites) sold in pipets for cage birds which comes in a box with two or three dosage pipets (just pop the lid off and apply topically at the base of the neck/shoulder ON THE SKIN) > There may be more than one brand but one I do know is available is BOGENA brand Anti-Parasite > ask the sales person as they usually keep it behind the counter (it is sold in dosage so pipets> for a macaw for example will be a dosage in one pipet appropriate for the average weight of a macaw (the macaw product is usually not commonly kept in stock but the the PARROT dosage product is and will have a picture of a parrot on it and the number 150 on it / I use this for my young silkies and have had occasion to also use it for adult (standard not bantam) silkies > two pipets> weigh your birds (or "guestimate) and use the appropriate number of pipets based on WEIGHT) > this will be quicker than trying to find a product easily available in a feed store in the USA and not in the UK.
Or if none of the petstores have in stock they might have the pipet ivermectine (also BOGENA Anti-Parasite) for rabbits and guineapigs.... if a different brand check the active ingredients > only use the product that has ONLY ivermectine listed as active ingredient> again the number of pipets you will use will be based on the weight of the bird.
It is very safe and just as effective as the ivomec EPRINEX product discussed here on this forum (in the USA you cannot get over-the-counter ivermectine but the ivomec (brand name) is easily available in most feed stores which is not the case in the UK)

Last edited:
Quote:
I am also in the UK and have used Harkers Harka-mectin Spot On (for cage birds and pigeons) for my girls. Four drops between the shoulder blades onto the skin (do not waste any on feathers, it must go directly onto skin).

You can see the product here, http://www.everythingforpets.com/ha...spot_apos_.pet/use.id.5.item_id.421.dept.103/ but it can be bought over the counter, especially if you have a vet surgery nearby where they will almost certainly stock it in their pharmacy.

Quote:
There are people who use the injectable, but it doesn't work well as a drop on. I ***think*** (please don't act on this vague rememberance) that people use it orally or in the water.

That always felt odd to me, so I used the drop on instead just for personal taste and because then I knew I was neither going to aspirate anyone nor not know exactly how much they got.

Ok so I need to get some of this stuff! She is so sad and it's horrid to see her like this, any of you fellow Brits does pets at home sell ivomec? Otherwise what's a good site?

Update on the girls, the larger two are still looking great, I've been dusting throughrally all 3 with louse power, (all I have atm) and I have searched them and not seen a single louse, can this be possible? For my young'un been giving her yoghurt, apple sauce and boiled eggs, she's been eating lots of yoghurt and been moving about a lot with a good appitite! I have noticed something very horrible under her wings, it looks like all the feathers stuck together with mud or something, will post pictures tomorrow so you can help me
smile.png
thank you all so so much!

lice/mites go hand in hand with worms and just dusting for lice wont address the internal parasites.
Dont worry about getting the ivomec (ivomecc is a brand name and they make several products mostly ivermectine or Eprinex but all belonging to the same "family" of drug) go to the petstore and get the ivermectine product and treat your bird or see a vet and ask them for the product.

Last edited:
UPDATE

So the bigger two are great, still no sign of louse and happily walking around talking to me and each other.

Now the smaller one
sad.png

Went out this morning to find her laying on the floor, first thought was she died, she did not thankfully but not looking good at all
sad.png
i have pictures of the 'dirt' under her wing, i believe it is under both wings and please someone what is it!?
Because her condition is so bad i have moved her indoors away from the other two, they avoid her anyway as it is obvious she is so ill. She still has a good appetite and eating and drinking lots She is in my room in a v. large box with feed, water and yogurt. I have done this as i think it will be less stressful as we live in the UK and yesterday it was 27C till lunch, then hailed, then torrential rain and heavy thunder all evening.

Please all I need help... I have DE arriving on Monday and some Ivermectin (spot on) arriving soon (hopefully Tuesday).
This is the Ivermectin i have ordered. http://www.chicken-house.co.uk/cgi-bin/sh011111.pl?REFPAGE=http%3a%2f%2fwww.chicken-house.co.uk%2facatalog%2fRed_Mite_Solutions.html&WD=ivermectin&PN=Harkamectin__ivermectin_Drops.html%23a186#a186

This
morning.
2rh4umr.jpg

This is the bit under her wing.
28k0i8j.jpg

10y06r4.jpg

2gx22c1.jpg

This is her home till she recovers, i have placed a plank of wood over the top to stop her jumping out. I have also placed water in there.
51xdeh.jpg

Last edited:
She's been in my room most of the day, eating and drinking lots
smile.png
not looking happy at all though
sad.png
but there seems to be less louse, if anyone knows what those bits under her wings are please tell me what to do! If she survives tonight I think she will be ok but tonight is going to be a long night! Throughally searched the other two for louse and found a few, will use the ivermectin on them all!

To me, that bit under the wing looks quite like a wound or like something has happened there. I would use hydrogen peroxide to clean under there, being as gentle and calm with her as possible.

As for the food - is she still eating it? Do you have baby vitamins there that are comparable to Enfamil Poly-Vi-Sol but without iron? A lot of people here use that for ill birds, a couple of drops on the beak. In her case, three at least.

She really needs her blood built back up. I'd clean that wing to see if there's an infected wound under there. (Smell it, too.)

Back
Top Bottom